Brand new issue 5 of the Pink Un Magazine is out now! ORDER YOURS TODAY

Updated: Norwich City Football Club says there is lots of interest in manager job as Paul Lambert is announced as new Aston Villa boss

PUBLISHED: 13:00 02 June 2012 | UPDATED: 18:52 02 June 2012

Former Norwich City boss Paul Lambert has been appointed manager of Aston Villa. Picture by Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd.

Former Norwich City boss Paul Lambert has been appointed manager of Aston Villa. Picture by Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd.

©Focus Images Limited www.focus-images.co.uk +447814 482222

Norwich City today said it had been “inundated” with applications for and interest in the club’s vacant manager position as Paul Lambert was confirmed as the new manager of Aston Villa.

Lambert tendered his resignation to the Canaries on Thursday amid reports Villa had made an official approach for his services.

His resignation was not accepted but a brief statement on Villa’s website today read: “The board of Aston Villa are delighted to confirm that Paul Lambert has been appointed Villa manager.”

This afternoon Norwich City issued a statement offering its thanks to Lambert and announcing the search for his replacement was “already actively underway”.

It said: “Following today’s announcement by Aston Villa that they have appointed Paul Lambert as their new manager, we would once again like to place on record our sincere gratitude to Paul for everything he has done for the club – everybody at Carrow Road wishes him all the best for the future.

“Meanwhile the search for the next Norwich City manager is already actively underway and the club has been inundated with applications for and interest in the job of leading this great club forward in the Barclays Premier League.

“The next Norwich City manager will have a great squad of players, a robust and competitive budget and excellent facilities to work with – as well as the superb backing, home and away, of our fantastic supporters.”

Earlier reports that compensation from Aston Villa had been agreed – rumoured to be about £1m – were denied by the club.

“We will continue to discuss this matter privately with Aston Villa,” the Norwich City statement said.

Norwich chief executive David McNally yesterday revealed the club were in the process of looking for a new manager, describing the former Carrow boss as being on “gardening leave”.

He told Sky Sports News: “We are looking for a new manager, that is likely what we concentrate on in the next few weeks.

“We were in a situation where we were approached by another club to speak to Paul Lambert, we didn’t grant them permission and we were very clear we wanted to keep our manager who has been incredibly successful.

“When it was indicated by our manager that he would like the opportunity to speak to this particular club the dynamics changed, and then it was about talking to them about compensation, agreeing compensation and sorting out a time frame, and we are still in that process.”

McNally also praised Lambert’s contribution during his time at Carrow Road, which saw the Scot guide the Canaries from League One to 12th in the Premier League.

He said: “Paul Lambert has been fantastic for this football club for three years and he will quite rightly take his place in Norwich City history and we will always be very grateful to Paul for his achievements here.”

Cardiff boss Malkay Mackay and Celtic chief Neil Lennon have been made early favourites to replace Lambert at Norwich, although McNally insisted the club has made no approach for a manager yet.

Other names which could be in the frame include former Norwich City defenders Mark Bowen and Steve Bruce, Blackpool boss Ian Holloway and Birmingham manager Chris Hughton.

McNally said: “We will look at the market and it is about having a manager who is hungry, committed and we will need to check out their knowledge, skill, experience and their attitude really. Those are attributes that are important to us, and Paul Lambert’s ticks all of those boxes.”

McNally yesterday insisted no Norwich City players, including wantaway striker Grant Holt, were for sale.

Holt, 31, scored 15 league goals last season but had a transfer request rejected last month and took to Twitter yesterday to confirm he wants to leave Carrow Road after three seasons and 70 goals for the club.

“Just to stop the rumour mill again. I have expressed to the board and the CEO that I want to leave the football club. Due to disagreements,” he wrote.

“I have loved my 3 years at the club and it sadness (sic) me to right (sic) this but want use (sic) to here (sic) it from me first.”

Reports have linked Holt to a switch to Villa Park to join his former boss, but McNally said none of the first team squad are for sale.

Sound off below with your thoughts on Lambert’s switch to the Midlands club.

Related articles

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Norfolk's trusted business finder