March 6 2015 Latest news:
Monday, December 31, 2012
Defender Ross Watson was left more gutted than most after King’s Lynn Town suffered another postponement.
The Linnets’ second blank weekend in a row — this time at Carlton — means the 24-year-old will miss tomorrow’s home Evo-Stik Division One South derby against Stamford.
Had the game in Nottingham beaten the wet weather, Watson would have missed it through suspension and as a result been available for the visit of his former club on New Year’s Day.
However, he will now have to join supporters in the stands when two of the league’s top five sides face off in the hope of kick-starting their 2013 push for promotion.
Watson said on Twitter, prior to Saturday’s early-morning pitch inspection: “Tomorrow needs to be on! I need to be available for New Year #fingerscrossed”.
The Peterborough-based player discussed his looming one-game ban on the social networking site with Stamford captain Richard Jones as he hoped for a miracle.
But it never came and Watson admitted he was “not a happy man” after the inevitable happened and Lynn were told they faced a second Saturday on the bounce, after last weekend’s home postponement against Sheffield, without a game.
“That’s me in the stands for New Year’s Day then,” said Lynn’s clearly disappointed defender.
Watson wasn’t the only player who went online to vent his frustrations as a string of Linnets, including Sam Mulready, Shane Tolley and Dan Buhlemann, posted their annoyance at having to wait until about 10.15am for news from the 9.30am pitch inspection.
Midfielder Dan Quigley said he was “fuming” that the game had been called off while defender Jason Lee also bemoaned the abandonment in roughly 140 characters.
Lee said: “So not only was I up and raring to go this am, I have already left for the longest road trip ever to get to football...game off! Cheers!!”
The Millers, to their credit, had posted a statement on their website on Friday warning that the game was in grave doubt due to prolonged rain.
After Saturday’s decision, a club official said: “Although there had been an improvement after a dry night, areas of the pitch were deemed unplayable and with further rain forecast and a long journey for away supporters, the decision came as no surprise.”
However, Lynn’s players didn’t get away with a football free-weekend. Boss Gary Setchell called them in for some training at The Walks on Saturday afternoon.