Dereham Town 1, Godmanchester Rovers 0

Rene Kendal
Sunday, November 11, 2012
4:18 PM

Dereham put aside last weekend’s first league defeat and got back to winning ways at Aldiss Park with a first half Luke Tuttle goal separating the teams.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

The visitors won two early corners which failed to trouble the home defence. As Dereham searched for openings Shaun Bammant was prominent in the Magpies frontline. Nicky Howell made a fine run that took him deep inside the Godmanchester area in the 25th minute but he was unable to find Bammant who was looking to apply a finishing touch.

Dereham’s front two had been working hard and they combined well in the 31st minute to make the breakthrough. Luke Tuttle played a short pass to Bammant who returned the ball to his strike partner and after shrugging off the attention of his marker he struck a well directed 25 yard drive into the net.

The Magpies then won a free kick on the right with Adam Gusterson attacking Gary Starling’s centre. However the home defender clashed heads with an opponent and after initially returning to the action the Dereham management felt that he needed to be replaced by Callum White. The Magpies held a solitary goal lead at the break.

Soon after the restart Bammant held the ball up well before releasing Craig Bussens on the left who cut inside and hit a low drive into Rob Mackney’s arms.

Godmanchester missed a great chance to level in the 57th minute when James Hall headed Jonny Hall’s cross from the left into Mike Hyem’s path and with the goal at his mercy the midfielder ballooned the ball over the top.

Dereham nearly increased their lead when Luke Tuttle delivered a cross from the right to the back post where Shaun Bammant rose well and his downward header looked to be on its way to the net before Mackney leapt to his left to make a great save.

Godmanchester remained a threat and Dereham needed the crucial second goal. Howell nearly provided this when he headed a Tuttle centre over the top when well placed.

In stoppage time substitute Aaron Kay found Tuttle in plenty of space but keeper Mackney saved well from the strikers close range effort. Dereham took the points following an entertaining game.





Order your copy of The Canary magazine
Norwich City: History as it happened
Order your copy of Norwich City: History as it Happened
Read our digital publication