Norwich City boss Chris Hughton satisfied after QPR Premier League stalemate
©Focus Images Limited www.focus-images.co.uk +447814 482222
Chris Hughton declared himself satisfied with a hard-earned Premier League point in Saturday’s televised goalless draw at Loftus Road.
City were indebted to keeper Mark Bunn, who denied Adel Taarabt from the penalty spot in the second period after he was adjudged to have upended Jamie Mackie. Bunn also produced a series of key stops following the interval with QPR in the ascendancy, but Hughton was happy to add another point to the club’s survival tally.
“I think it was a decent point for us. Any point away from home in this division is a good point,” he said. “Particularly against a team in good form. I was at the game in midweek and I thought they were value for a point so a good point for us, yes. We’re on the back of a dip in form which has seen us not pick up many points. We needed a reaction and we certainly got that against Tottenham who are a good, offensive team. In the first half we were very good and they came back at us. We knew QPR would want to win this game and hence it was a tough game but I thought a draw was a fair result.”
Hughton kept new signing Luciano Becchio in reserve until the final minutes, and the City chief admitted he was tempted to hand the former Leeds striker his debut earlier in the contest.
“It is always a tough decision,” he said. “I wanted to leave Grant (Holt) on because at that stage we were probably giving away too many free kicks and too many corners. With (Bobby) Zamora and (Chris) they are very prolific in the air. With Wes (Hoolahan), he can show real quality in those individual moments. I just felt we needed to get the ball forward and keep it forward in that period, but it was a tough call.”