Updated: Resignation tweet withdrawn on Norwich City chief executive David McNally’s Twitter account
PUBLISHED: 01:26 08 May 2016 | UPDATED: 13:24 08 May 2016
©Focus Images Limited www.focus-images.co.uk +447814 482222
A post on David McNally’s official Twitter account insisted he remains ‘fully-committed’ to Norwich City after a series of tweets that seemed to indicate he had resigned on Saturday evening.
A tweet from McNally’s account was posted at 1:01am on Sunday morning with a response to an earlier post which suggested he had resigned, after coming in for strong criticism from supporters on social media following Norwich City’s 1-0 Premier League defeat earlier on Saturday to Manchester United, which pushed them closer to relegation.
It read: ‘I take back what was said earlier. I remain fully committed to NCFC and to Delia and Michael & I’ve not resigned. My apologies.’
Neither McNally or the club had made any official announcement after the chief executive’s account carried a post in reply to a supporter at 8:35pm on Saturday evening which simply said: ‘that’s ok and I understand your view. I’ve resigned tonight and I hope that the club can now progress.’
That tweet provoked a huge response from Canaries fans on Twitter asking him to confirm the resignation.
McNally has been chief executive at Norwich City since 2009, in which time the club have had four seasons in the Premier League, but the Canaries are now facing a second relegation from the Premier League in three seasons.