Brand new issue 5 of the Pink Un Magazine is out now! ORDER YOURS TODAY

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez reveals fitness boost ahead of Norwich City Premier League visit

PUBLISHED: 09:25 14 December 2012

Wigan' boss Roberto Martinez could face a fight in January to keep hold of midfielder James McCarthy. Picutre: PA.

Wigan' boss Roberto Martinez could face a fight in January to keep hold of midfielder James McCarthy. Picutre: PA.

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Wigan captain Gary Caldwell and Ivan Ramis are fit to face Norwich City in this weekend’s Premier League test at Carrow Road.

Caldwell missed the recent 2-2 QPR league draw through suspension but the Scottish international was also nursing a hamstring problem. Ramis is also back in the fold after recovering from a similar problem and Martinez can welcome back Maynor Figueroa who has served his ban for a sending off at Newcastle.

The Latics have won only one of their last six but highly-rated midfielder James McCarthy underlined why he is a reported January target for Liverpool and Arsenal with a brace to salavage a point last weekend against Rangers.

Martinez is confident he can ward off transfer interest from the Premier League big boys after recently claiming the 22-year-old had the potential to play ‘anywhere in the world’.

The Spaniard denied there had been any firm contact from potential suitors and Martinez insisted the distraction of transfer talk is the last thing the Republic of Ireland international needs.

“We will always feel really pleased with compliments towards our players,” he said. “But James McCarthy is a young man – at 22 he is still developing. One day he will be challenging to win titles and to be in the highest position in the game, there is no two ways about it.

“But he is still developing and the performance that he had on Saturday shows that he is developing in the right way. He knows that and he knows as well that it is an important time for his role with the national team. The last thing he needs now is to be distracted from his good work and the way he is developing.”

Martinez is adamant the January transfer window will only prove beneficial for the Wigan squad.

“In January, we are not going to do anything else apart from adding players that can help us in becoming a bit stronger in the way we want to play,” said Martinez, whose side are currently 18th but just two points behind 14th-placed Newcastle.

“The January window is going to be positive for us, I have no doubts about that.”

Wigan will soon have a new face around the club, with the manager confirming Dutch midfielder Ferrie Bodde is to train with them.

Bodde, signed by Martinez for Swansea in 2007, has been without a team since he was released by the Welsh outfit over the summer. The 30-year-old has been blighted by knee problems and last played first-team football in the 2009/10 season. He has been training with his first club ADO Den Haag back in his homeland and will now be reunited at Wigan with Martinez.

Martinez also reported no further developments in Wigan’s pursuit of Roger Espinoza, the versatile 26-year-old Honduras international whose work permit hearing ahead of his proposed move to the Latics from Sporting Kansas City takes place in the next few weeks.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Norfolk's trusted business finder

Most Read