As the rain fell in Norwich at 0800 Saturday morning the yellowarmy (amazing support of 4500 fans) started to make their way to the footballing hotbed that is Wigan Athletic.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Gone are the trips to Pay Up Pompey and 1p5wich Town home of the Bitter Binners, for at least one season and hopefully longer. The journey via the M6 was uneventful and we managed to park in Norfolk Street, about a mile from the ground, at around 1 pm.

With the Queens Arms only 300 yds away, a couple of beers were the order of the day with fellow city fans.

The DW stadium is modern and looks ok, view from the away end is good as the stand is set at a far steeper angle than normal.

Moving on to the game, City came out to a noisy vocal backing from the loyal travelling faithful. Stuart Attwell was the ref for the day “oh deep joy” was about the only printable comment.

Our concerns over the ref were backed up when he booked Fox after only one minute.

From our view at the back of the stand it seemed a tad harsh. On 20 mins De Laet took one touch too many and Di Santo nicked the ball and sprinted towards the city goal with De Laet chasing him down and finally catching him in the area.

Contact between the two saw Di Santo hit the turf and surprise, surprise Mr A signals penalty after the lino puts his flag across his chest. Was it a penalty? Not IMO however, I am sure there will be plenty more decisions like that this season.

Watson beat Ruddy from the spot and it was 1-0 Wigan. The game was end-to-end until just before the half time whistle when Morison did well to get a cross in (which took a deflection) and the Wigan keeper, Ali Al Habsi, fumbled to let in Hoolahan, who gratefully smashed the ball into the net and make it 1-1.

Second half saw City attacking the North Stand, where all the Canary faithful were gathered.

On 61 minutes City were awarded a free kick inside the Wigan area (pass back to keeper) , which Surman flashed over the bar.

Ten minutes later Morison went into Attwell’s little black book for confronting the linesman.

Under the new “Get on with it” initiative issued by the Premier League, confronting the officials can be punished with a booking.

Substitutions saw Barnett replace Whitbread on 70 minutes (think Whitbread may have picked up injury) and with 15 minutes remaining Paul Lambert brought on Elliott Bennett and Anthony Pilkington, off came Surman and Morison.

The city number five was not too pleased to be hauled off. The introduction of the last two subs had the desired effect and I think we will see a lot more of these two sooner rather than later.

Eighty-four minutes gone, and Watson hits the post for Wigan, curling a shot with the outside of his right foot. A collective sigh of relief could be heard from the yellow army. De Laet came to the rescue late on when he made a last gasp double block.

Final whistle 1-1 and on the balance of play a fair result (I had it down for 2-2).

Victor Moses caused City problems with his pace throughout the game, but both sides will feel that they had enough chances to win it.

Quick mention to Dave Clarke, our driver, who gave a Wigan fan a lift back to Norwich. Had we lost would we have given him a lift? Only Dave can answer that one.

• If you would like the chance to report on a Norwich City game this season - home or away - please contact Peter Raven on





Order your copy of The Canary magazine
Norwich City: History as it happened
Order your copy of Norwich City: History as it Happened
Read our digital publication