Cup heartbreak for Linnets

PUBLISHED: 22:28 13 February 2007 | UPDATED: 10:04 14 September 2010

King's Lynn 0, Rugby 1: Lynn's young guns suffered Southern League Cup heartbreak in stoppage time at The Walks.

King's Lynn 0, Rugby 1

Lynn's young guns suffered Southern League Cup heartbreak in stoppage time at The Walks.

The Linnets paid for missing a bagful of second-half chances as Valley skipper Craig Herbert slammed a late free kick past Duncan McAnally from close range to clinch a semi-final spot.

Lynn's newest recruit Steve Diggin was inches from capping a lively debut by opening his account for the club.

Herbert denied the teenage hot-shot with a goal line clearance shortly after the interval as Lynn went for the jugular.

Norwich loan pair Andrew Cave-Brown and Andrew Fisk were the only starters from Saturday's league draw with leaders Bath.

Diggin's energetic burst earned his new club an early corner before slipping in Luke Fell for a first time strike well smothered by Rugby stopper Farhad Afandiyev.

Stephen's Harvey's mis-hit rolled through to the former Azerbaijan U21 keeper then Defty tried his luck from long range. Charlie Defty blocked Matt Gearing's goalbound effort for the visitors after the Rugby midfielder skipped past three home defenders.

David Stone spurned two clear-cut openings to nudge the Valley ahead. David Blenkinsopp's lofted pass set him free only for McAnally to out fox Stone before Cave-Brown's flying block cleared the danger.

Charlie Defty hacked clear at his near post after McAnally again forced Stone wide. Diggin's cute reverse ball freed the overlapping Seamus Kelleher but Herbert reacted smartly with Jack Defty ready to pounce.

Diggin barrelled through two weak challenges on the restart only to roll wide of Arfandiyev's far post. The big stopper's fingertips denied Cave-Brown before Diggin's point blank header was cleared.

Afandiyev's heroics foiled Stephen Harvey again with an acrobatic mid air block on 75 minutes as Fisk began to pull the strings.

Aaron Stringfellow bailed out Afandiyev when Defty's flick finally looked to have beaten the Rugby stopper in the closing stages.

The visitors cashed in on the left off - Gearing's quickly taken free kick catching out the Linnets' backline for Herbert to settle the quarter final with extra time looming.

King's Lynn: McAnally, Cave-Brown, Buhlemann, Harvey, C Defty, Miller, Kelleher (Spriggs 57), Fisk, Diggin, J Defty, Fell. Subs (not used): Hyde, Cussons, Rudd.

Rugby: Afandiyev, Harris (Kolodynski 45), Tullin, Herbert, Gordon, Hall, Gearing, Francis (Wells 28), Blenkinsopp, Stone (Sawko 53), Stringfellow. Subs (all used).

Goal: Herbert (90)

Attendance: 499

Referee: R Kendall (Beds)

Become a supporter

This newspaper company has followed Norwich City through good times and bad. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce in depth coverage that makes a measurable difference to our community. OTBC

Norwich City Video

Norwich City Audio

Norwich City Stats

The Pink Un magazine

A must-read for any Norwich City fan with in-depth, straight-talking, analysis from the best writers around.

Latest from the Pink Un - Norwich City Football Club News