Delaneys earn dramatic cup success

PUBLISHED: 14:55 31 March 2008 | UPDATED: 15:29 10 September 2010


Camden Tavern 2, Delaneys 5 (AET)

Delaneys completed a dramatic turnaround to walk away from Carrow Road with the Norfolk Sunday Senior Cup after a remarkable victory over Camden Tavern on Sunday.

Camden Tavern 2, Delaneys 5 (aet)

Delaneys completed a dramatic turnaround to walk away from Carrow Road with the Norfolk Sunday Senior Cup after a remarkable victory on Sunday.

Losing 2-1 with only seconds remaining, it looked as though Delaneys were heading towards cup final defeat for the second season running, until a stunning free-kick from substitute Neil Simmons in the third minute of injury time.

The equaliser breathed new life into the Norwich side and they struck a hat-trick of blows in extra-time to claim the cup.

Camden Tavern's early dominance was rewarded when Andy Gleave was adjudged to have brought down Gary Todd and Darren Cockrill - fresh from his FA Vase exploits with Lowestoft Town the day before - neatly dispatched the spot kick.

Camden doubled their lead on the half-hour mark when Gleave's under-hit back pass was intercepted by Todd, who nipped in to finish.

With the words of manager Graham Challen ringing in their ears, the Delaneys' players started the second half with renewed belief and Andy Eastaugh headed into the top corner from a pinpoint Kristian Gleave cross after 57 minutes. It looked as though Delaneys would fail to force extra-time - until Simmons stepped up with his last gasp effort.

Both teams started to tire in extra time and Camden were dealt a body blow when Louis Turner was sent off for a second booking.

And as the pressure began to tell, Simmons replicated his earlier exploits as he curled a peach of a free-kick into the top corner.

Things went from bad to worse for Camden when Luke Goreham was shown a straight red for handling on the line and although Mark Casey prevented Simmons from claiming his hat-trick from the spot, Oliver King buried the rebound.

Playing against nine men, King still had time to notch his second as he tapped in from close range.

Horsford 3 Swaffham Reserves 1

Horsford United were crowned Norfolk's Junior Cup champions last night after coming from behind to defeat Swaffham Town Reserves at Carrow Road.

Swaffham took the lead in the 15th minute, with Keith Polski glancing home from a corner.

Horsford hit back in the 29th minute when Scott McKinney beat the offside trap and powered home from the edge of the box with only the keeper to beat.

After the break Polski was presented with a glorious opportunity to reclaim the lead for the Pedlars. In the 57th minute, following a slip by John Davies in the Horsford defence, he saw his curling effort sail agonisingly wide of the far post.

Two minutes later Swaffham were made to pay for that miss, Scott McKinney breaking the offside trap to nip in and head home an Owen Vander-Hoeven free kick.

Swaffham pushed for an equaliser and came close through first Polski and then Ben Spalding but Horsford made sure of the result in added time when Darren Nichols finished from close range after a mix up in the Pedlars' defence.

Most Read

Norwich City Video

Norwich City Audio

Norwich City Stats

The Pink Un magazine

A must-read for any Norwich City fan with in-depth, straight-talking, analysis from the best writers around.

Most Read

Latest from the Pink Un - Norwich City Football Club News