Grint and determination for Kirkley

PUBLISHED: 06:35 09 March 2009 | UPDATED: 16:07 10 September 2010

Michael Bailey

Taz Grint scored his first goal for Kirkley and Pakefield as they regained second place in the Premier Division with a hard fought win at Harwich and Parkeston.

Taz Grint scored his first goal for Kirkley and Pakefield as they regained second place in the Premier Division with a hard fought win at Harwich and Parkeston.

The 18-year-old forward took just two minutes to open the scoring, on only his second appearance for the club, after good work from Harvey Cooper and Nathan Stone, before Liam Harvey-Cooper doubled the advantage with a stunning solo effort on 14 minutes.

John Stave leapt high at the far post to head home for the hosts after the half-hour mark, and Kirkley's lead was wiped out on the hour; a Harwich free-kick was knocked into the visitors' six-yard box and Matt Carmichael reacted first to sweep the ball home. But Kirkley sealed the points 13 minutes from time, Harvey-Cooper side-footing home for his second after Chris Henderson's industry, although Harwich hit the woodwork at the final whistle.

Kirkley's win took them back above Wroxham, who drew 1-1 with CRC on Friday, but bitter rivals Lowestoft continue to dominate the division, recording their tenth consecutive win with a 4-1 triumph at Histon Reserves; thanks to Reece Hunn, Ross King and a Jamie Godbold brace.

Dereham extended their return to form with an excellent 5-0 at Felixstowe. The Magpies' third win on the spin came courtesy of first-half goals from returning defender Jay Eastoe-Smith, Danny Beaumont and Simon Mowbray.

A foul on Ollie Willis allowed Beaumont his second from the spot soon after the interval, while Mowbray charged down the home keeper's clearance to complete the scoring.

Billy Smith's first-half effort was enough to earn Wisbech Town a 1-0 win over Stanway Rovers, but Norwich United lost 3-2 at Ely in dramatic circumstances.

The Planters led twice; Nathan Page hit home on the stroke of half-time only for Nick Impey to level matters 15 seconds after the restart, before Tom Jeal restored United's lead from the penalty spot. But five minutes of added time saw Dale Archer and Richard Chadwick turn the game on its head and leave the Planters devastated. King's Lynn Reserves lost 3-1 at home to Mildenhall, despite Kyle Nicholls' first-half equaliser and Rory Harper seeing his second-half penalty saved.

In Division One, goals from Stewart Roach, Mark Thompson and Scott Woodcock gave Great Yarmouth Town a 3-0 win over Debenham. But Diss slipped to a 3-1 defeat at promotion-chasing Hadleigh United, a dress rehearsal for the Division One League Cup final on April 22. Chris Williams and a Craig Payne double for the hosts, Ed Cussons' 81st minute penalty in reply for Diss.

Gorleston lost 3-2 at Stowmarket, while Thetford were given a home hammering by FC Clacton, with three of the visitors' goals coming from the penalty spot.

Struggling Fakenham and Swaffham were both dealt heavy defeats, at Cornard and Saffron Walden respectively.

Needham Market's FA Vase dream is over after going out on penalties in their quarter-final replay at Chalfont St Peter. After a goalless120 minutes, the Ridgeons Premier side lost out 6-5 on penalties.

Most Read

Norwich City Video

Norwich City Audio

Norwich City Stats

The Pink Un magazine

A must-read for any Norwich City fan with in-depth, straight-talking, analysis from the best writers around.

Most Read

Latest from the Pink Un - Norwich City Football Club News