King’s Lynn Town 1 Weymouth 1: Frustration for Linnets as late strike denies all three points

PUBLISHED: 13:23 21 January 2018

Simon Lappin was on target against Weymouth for King's Lynn but it wasn't enough. Picture: Ian Burt

Simon Lappin was on target against Weymouth for King's Lynn but it wasn't enough. Picture: Ian Burt

Archant 2017

The points were shared in this entertaining Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division top four encounter at The Walks on Saturday.

Former Canary Simon Lappin appeared to have given the Linnets all three points with 15 minutes remaining only for the Terras’ Brandon Goodship to square things up again in the dying minutes.

Josh Carmichael warmed Alex Street’s hands early on with a low drive before the action switched to the other end as both Craig Parker and Michael Clunan saw efforts blocked by mass Weymouth defending.

Ryan Fryatt headed over after a Ryan Jarvis centre as Town began to look the more likely to strike first. Minutes later however they were given a real scare as Ben Thomson cut the ball back to an oncoming Goodship whose fierce drive smashed against the home bar before bouncing down violently and away from danger despite visiting protests that the ball had crossed the goal line.

A Lappin corner eventually fell to Cameron Norman who sent a long range effort over Will Dennis’s bar and Michael Gash would feel he should have done better with a close range header shortly before the interval.

The visitors began the second spell well with Charlie Davis drilling wide from distance and Thomson testing Street with a diving header that the Lynn stopper did well to turn away to safety. With both teams cancelling each other out it was Ian Culverhouse who played his hand first with a double change shortly before the hour with Ryan Hawkins and Cameron King – the latter making his home debut - both being introduced to the action.

The move immediately added a little more bite and pace to the home attack who proceeded to enjoy their best spell of the match. The pressure that had been building was finally rewarded with a goal on 75 minutes.

Clunan’s centre from the Linnets right didn’t look to be the best but only Dennis will know how he allowed the ball to bobble past him before falling invitingly to Lappin who had gambled on taking a back post position which allowed him to head into an unguarded net.

The action reverted quickly to the other end with Goodship inches away from equalising almost immediately and Street gathering another Carmichael effort with Town now busy manning the defensive pumps. Goodship was not to be denied though and, with four minutes remaining, stabbed home a low left hand side cross beyond Street to restore parity and ensure the long trip home was not to be pointless.

King’s Lynn Town: Street, Norman, Blake–Tracy, Fryatt, Ward, Jarvis, Clunan, Parker (King), Gash, Mettam (Hawkins), Lappin. Unused subs: Siddons, Hilliard, Pearson (GK).

Goal: Lappin 75

Booking: Clunan.

Weymouth: Dennis, Wells (Naolo), Buckley, Zubar, McCarthy, Carmichael, Davis (Wakefield), Brooks, Thomson, Goodship, Baggie (Baker). Unused subs: Sa, Stewart (GK)

Goal: Goodship 86.

Bookings: Wells, Zubar, Thomson.

Referee: Mr T Hancock (Ely)

Attendance: 684

Most Read

Norwich City Video

Norwich City Audio

Norwich City Stats

The Pink Un magazine

A must-read for any Norwich City fan with in-depth, straight-talking, analysis from the best writers around.

Most Read

Latest from the Pink Un - Norwich City Football Club News