St Ives Town 1 King’s Lynn Town 3: Linnets late show steals the points

PUBLISHED: 18:09 28 August 2017

Linnets boss Ian Culverhouse keeps an eye on proceedings. Picture: Ian Burt

Linnets boss Ian Culverhouse keeps an eye on proceedings. Picture: Ian Burt

Archant 2017

King’s Lynn Town bounced back from dropping points at home to continue their unbeaten home record as they came from behind to take all three points at a sun drenched Westwood Road.

The Linnets were forced into two changes from Saturday’s home draw against Frome Town, Sam Gaughran (ankle) and Leon Mettam (back) were forced to miss the game – their starting places going to Tom Ward and Tom Siddons.

It was the hosts that created the first chance inside the opening minutes. Some good hold up play from ex-Linnet Dubi Ogbonna saw him lay the ball to Phil Draycott who dragged his effort wide of the target.

From there onwards it was all one way traffic as Lynn took a strong hold of the half. Ryan Hawkins created the first chance for the visitors as his driving run saw him beat two home defenders before firing into the side netting from inside the box.

The woodwork then denied Lynn an opener, Ryan Jarvis received the ball from a Cameron Norman throw and unleashed a cross-come-shot that beat home keeper James Goff only for the ball to cannon off the wood work.

Norman was in the action just minutes later when his cross found Craig Parker unmarked in the area and with the goal at his mercy the normally reliable midfielder could only screw his effort wide of the target.

Just minutes before the break a raking pass from Frazer Blake-Tracy was nodded down by Craig Gillies into the path of Parker whose volleyed effort was again wide of the target.

The Linnets started the second half on the front foot – Tom Siddons went close with a header from a Blake-Tracy cross.

Minutes later Hawkins should have put Lynn ahead when a delightful Jarvis pass found Hawkins but his poked effort didn’t have enough power to trouble the goalkeeper.

Ian Culverhouse’s men were punished for not taking their chances just before the hour mark when the home side went in front. Substitute Jimmy Hartley got the run on the Linnets back line before firing past Street with a powerful effort from the edge of the box.

The Linnets drew level on 77 minutes as Norman was hauled down on the edge of the box near the corner flag. Clunan’s free kick was driven into the box and found Siddons whose neat foot work created some space for the big man to fire past Goff.

That seemed to spark the visitors into life as seven minutes later they took the lead. Blake-Tracy’s cross was nodded down superbly by Toby Hilliard who found Siddons, who smashed home to the delight of the travelling Linnets fans.

The Linnets wrapped up all the points as a quick counter attack from Parker from a home comer led to the midfielder running the length of the pitch before laying it on a plate for teenager Harry Whayman to net his first league goal for the club via the post.

St Ives Town: Goff, Ferrell, Jarrold, De’ath, Chaffey, McGowen, Hilliard (Hall 46), Clark (Kelly 86), Ogbonna (Hartley 46), Seymour-Shrove, Draycott. Sub not used: Wright

King’s Lynn Town: Street, Norman, Blake-Tracy, Fryatt (Frary 60), Ward, Jarvis, Clunan, Parker, Siddons, Gillies (Hilliard 62), Hawkins (Whayman 80). Sub not used: Pearson

Referee Ashley List

Attendance: 470

Most Read

Norwich City Video

Norwich City Audio

Norwich City Stats

The Pink Un magazine

A must-read for any Norwich City fan with in-depth, straight-talking, analysis from the best writers around.

Most Read

Latest from the Pink Un - Norwich City Football Club News