Lowestoft Town 1 Dulwich Hamlet 2: Blues bow out of FA Trophy

PUBLISHED: 06:09 31 October 2016

FA Trophy first qualifying round between Lowestoft Town and Dulwich Hamlet.
Jake Reed in action for Lowestoft.
PHOTO: Nick Butcher

FA Trophy first qualifying round between Lowestoft Town and Dulwich Hamlet. Jake Reed in action for Lowestoft. PHOTO: Nick Butcher


Lowestoft Town were knocked out of the FA Trophy as Dulwich Hamlet claimed their second victory at Crown Meadow in less than a month.

Vas Karagiannis put Dulwich Hamlet in front, before Adam Smith drew the Trawlerboys level.

It was left to Danny Carr to head the visitors into the next round – notching the winner on 78 minutes.

But the players, management staff and fans of the Trawlerboys were left feeling aggrieved late on, as they were adamant that a penalty should have been awarded for handball.

Home manager Ady Gallagher kept with the same side that grabbed a last gasp victory over Bognor Regis Town in their last game.

Ryan Jarvis was deployed through the middle, alongside Jake Reed, with Chris Henderson and Harvey Hodd providing the width.

The visitors arrived on the back of three straight victories – including a 2-0 win over AFC Sudbury.

They named Nyren Clunis in their starting XI – a familiar name to home fans after scoring twice in a 3-0 league victory at Crown Meadow just three weeks ago.

It was Dulwich Hamlet who started on the front foot, instantly recognisable with their bright pink coloured shirts.

A cross from Nathan Green was met by Dumebi Dumaka, but his header was saved by Josh Glover.

The visiting side were maintaining possession well, with Lowestoft struggling to pose a threat.

Ashley Carew caught the eye in the midfield area for Dulwich Hamlet, and he was involved in the opening goal on 21 minutes.

His pass to Michael Chambers allowed the central defender to brilliantly find full-back Nathan Green.

After his cross was only partially cleared by Travis Cole, winger Vas Karagiannis was on hand to smash the ball home off the far post to give the visitors the lead.

The Trawlerboys knew things had to change after the restart and Adam Smith got his side back on level terms. A cross from Frazer Blake-Tracy was only half cleared and the ball fell to Adam Smith, who scored his first goal of the season with a sweet left-footed shot.

Dulwich Hamlet continued on the front foot, with Nathan Green forcing Glover to save after his near-post.

But their persistence paid off in the 78th minute as substitute Carr’s looping header found the back of the net.

There was still time for late drama as Blake-Tracy’s cross was blocked inside the box by a visiting defender.

With the Lowestoft players claiming handball, the linesman appeared to flag to award the decision, but referee Burnham was not interested.

With the home players and fans infuriated, Harry Barker was then cautioned for his reaction to his team not being awarded a spot-kick, as Dulwich Hamlet held on for victory.

Most Read

Norwich City Video

Norwich City Audio

Norwich City Stats

The Pink Un magazine

A must-read for any Norwich City fan with in-depth, straight-talking, analysis from the best writers around.

Most Read

Latest from the Pink Un - Norwich City Football Club News