Maldon & Tiptree 2 Dereham Town 2: Magpies give up two-goal lead as opponents secure play-off spot

PUBLISHED: 15:53 09 April 2017 | UPDATED: 19:35 09 April 2017

Joe Gatting was on target for Dereham. Picture: Ian Burt

Joe Gatting was on target for Dereham. Picture: Ian Burt

Archant 2017

Dereham threw away a two-goal lead but still gained a useful point against a team second in the table - a point which ensured the Essex side a place in the play-offs.

The home side won two early free-kicks – from the first Liam Nash curled a low drive into Josh Glover’s arms and minutes later Nash’s fierce 25-yard drive cannoned back off a post with the keeper stranded.

The Jammers’ high tempo start continued Nash failed to convert Sam Newson’s cross from the left.

But Dereham withstood the initial onslaught and took the lead in the 12th minute. Defender Jay Eastoe-Smith’s long clearance was flicked on by Joe Gatting to Danny Beaumont who sprinted forward and dinked the ball past advancing keeper Daniel Wilks before finishing from close range.

The Magpies almost increased the lead when Gatting’s volley was saved by Wilks after Will Sainsbury-Logan and Adam Smith combined to make the chance.

Maldon’s Rhys Henry had a low drive charged down by Robbie Linford and from their next attack Newson dragged a diagonal drive wide of the target.

In the opening minute of the second period Joe Gatting’s skilful lob almost caught out Wilks, the ball striking the keeper’s bar.

But the Magpies striker fared better in the 52nd minute when Smith sent Logan away down the left and his cross was volleyed home at the far post by Gatting with the ball slipping through the keeper’s hands.

Dereham were competing well and had another chance with Logan firing wide following Gatting’s flick.

Dereham had defended solidly but Maldon reduced the deficit when Nash’s chip into the box beat keeper Glover in the 72nd minute.

And Dereham’s good work was undone when Sam Newson beat Glover to a through ball and lobbed the ball home to level matters with 85 minutes on the clock.

In the final minute keeper Glover made a good save to deny Newson as he progressed into the box, while Mills headed wide at the far post.

Dereham: Glover, Abudunde, Humphrey, Linford, Frary, Eastoe-Smith (Black 87), Logan (Crisp 87), Smith, Gatting, Sainsbury-Logan, Beaumont (Costandanchi 80). Sub not used: Bitsundo. Ref: L Grimsby. Att: 78.

Most Read

Norwich City Video

Norwich City Audio

Norwich City Stats

The Pink Un magazine

A must-read for any Norwich City fan with in-depth, straight-talking, analysis from the best writers around.

Most Read

Latest from the Pink Un - Norwich City Football Club News