Thurlow Nunn round-up: Newmarket halt Gorleston's unbeaten run

PUBLISHED: 19:13 15 January 2017

Connor Ingram under pressure

Connor Ingram under pressure


Gorleston's unbeaten run in the Thurlow Nunn Premier came to an abrupt halt after being on the end of an 8-2 hammering at Newmarket.

Gorleston, who had gone 18 matches without defeat this season in the league, should have taken the lead early on when Joel Watts was sent clear by Keegan Middleton’s through ball. However, Jockeys’ goalkeeper Ben Nower saved well and his defender cleared the danger.

However, Newmarket got their noses in front in the 13th minute as Austin Diaper’s cross-cum-shot eluded goalkeeper Taurean Molloy. Jamie Thurlbourne made it 2-0 in the 25th minute before he grabbed another to give the Greens a real mountain to climb.

In first-half stoppage time Diaper grabbed his second of the afternoon after a defensive mistake. Within nine minutes of the restart it was 5-0 as Lewis Whitehead thumped home but Gorleston pulled one back through Connor Ingram in the 71st minute.

The Greens youngster made it 5-2 after latching on to Kyle Baker’s cross but Newmarket extinguished any hopes of a comeback when Jordan Foster restored their four-goal advantage.

Diaper completed his hat-trick a minute from time before Foster completed the rout.

Fakenham Town went down to a disappointing defeat at struggling FC Clacton. Ashley Jarvis gave the Ghosts the lead from the spot before Clacton levelled. Kyle Plumb restored Fakenham’s lead but Clacton staged an excellent second-half fightback to claim the points.

Clacton’s win leaves Swaffham Town four points adrift at the bottom of the table as they were well beaten at Felixstowe & Walton.

In Division One March Town claimed an impressive point as they held league leaders Coggeshall to a goalless draw.

n Wisbech Town took their unbeaten run to 15 games as they beat Newport Pagnell 5-3.

Michael Frew opened the scoring when volleying home from six yards but Newport levelled shortly after through Dom Lawless.

Harry Limb restored the Fenmen’s lead before Adam Millson’s penalty made it 3-1. Limb grabbed another before Billy Smith made it 5-1.The home side gave the scoreline a bit of respectability with goals from Luke Emery and another from Lawless.

Most Read

Norwich City Video

Norwich City Audio

Norwich City Stats

The Pink Un magazine

A must-read for any Norwich City fan with in-depth, straight-talking, analysis from the best writers around.

Most Read

Latest from the Pink Un - Norwich City Football Club News