Paddy Davitt Dereham 1, King's Lynn 2 (after extra time):Robbie Harris returned to haunt his old side with an extra time winner in a pulsating Norfolk FA Vase first round qualifier today at Aldiss Park.

Paddy Davitt

Dereham 1, King's Lynn 2 (after extra time)

Robbie Harris returned to haunt his old side with an extra time winner in a pulsating Norfolk FA Vase first round qualifier today at Aldiss Park.

Kyle Downes bundled home from close range in first half stoppage time for the Magpies but Jack Defty snatched a dramatic equaliser in the fifth of 14 stoppage time minutes at the end of normal time after Dereham defenders Matt Cross and Jay Eastoe-Smith were both stretchered off in a bruising second half.

Harris then struck seconds into extra time to head home Jamie Thurlbourne's pinpoint cross in front of 689 fans at Aldiss Park to set up a home tie against Yarmouth on September 18.

“That was a big game for me and Kevin (Boon),” said Lynn joint boss Gary Setchell. “People, I think, will go away from today actually believing in us. I know we've had a good few results in the league but this was an acid test for us two and the players because make no mistake people were looking at this game and using it to compare the Ridgeons and the UCL leagues. Dereham are hoping to win the Ridgeons but St Neots have beaten them in the FA Cup and we have beaten them as well so I don't think the Ridgeons is as strong as it once was.

“We've had some hard games in the UCL already and I don't think people are giving our league the credit it deserves.”

Henman confirmed left back Cross was set for a precautionary hospital check up after a robust challenge from Pat Bexfield.

“Crossy has gone to hospital and we're not sure if its ankle or knee but we think he might have dislocated something and it popped back in,” said Henman. “Jay is a little bit better but he took a bang on the front of his knee. He said when he was trying to climb above Jack he felt something pop but carried on and it seemed to buckle a bit. It's too early to tell but it might be a few weeks for both of them.”

Brady Stone tested Shaun Marshall with a shot on the turn from 12 yards in a positive sign of early intent from the UCL leaders. Marshall then pushed away Luke Thurlbourne's half volley after Dereham's defence was undone by a clever corner from brother Jamie.

Jamie Thurlbourne's close range strike then deflected behind before Billy Smith headed over from the corner. Adam Gusterson bundled in a well worked free kick for the Magpies but their joy was cut short by the assistant's flag. Ryan Foster then tested Alex Street with the hosts gradually asserting a measure of control. Marshall was forced to back peddle to push Jamie Thurlbourne's lofted centre onto his crossbar then Defty headed at the ex-Linnet from close range in the best sighter of the half.

Dereham's powerful midfielder Adam Smith led a rapier counter in stoppage time before slipping in Danny Beaumont whose angled strike was bundled in by Downes at the second attempt. Billy Smith tested Marshall on the restart with Lynn looking up the ante Harris marked his introduction with a cutback for Defty who scooped over under pressure with Harris perhaps better placed to test Marshall.

Defty drilled wide from an acute angle from Harris' reverse pass in between the two lengthy injury stoppages for the hosts. Jamie Thurlbourne dragged wide from the edge of the box in a growing sign of Lynn's frustration before Danny Buhlemann's flash header was parried by Marshall in stoppage time - Buhlemann replacing Stone at half time after the centre back was withdrawn with a suspected broken bone in his foot.

Lynn skipper Defty dragged the visitors' level on 95 minutes with a strike on the turn from ten yards out that bobbled past Marshall. Defty then screwed wide and flashed a header off target before Street denied Beaumont with a superb reaction stop in a grandstand finish from both sides.

Harris powered Lynn in front 30 seconds into an additional 30 minutes of extra time from Jamie Thurlbourne's pinpoint delivery. Defty's audacious chip cannoned off the underside of Marshall's bar after the Magpies' stopper went walkabout in the second period then late introduction Steve Spriggs attempted an even longer range speculative effort that Marshall could only wave around his post. Dereham sub Ian Morgan bicycle kicked over from the edge of the Town area in the closing seconds as Lynn held out to claim the derby spoils.

Dereham: Marshall, Willis, Cross (Morgan 62), Eastoe-Smith (Thomson 76), Gusterson, Beaumont, Roberts, Smith, Downes (Harley 68), Willis, Foster Subs (not used): Reeves, Higgs.

Goal: Downes (45)

King's Lynn: Street, Bexfield, Alsop, L Thurlbourne, McNeil, Stone (Buhlemann 45), Kelly (Harris 55), White, Defty, Smith (Spriggs 63), J Thurlbourne. Subs (not used): Cubberley, Hails.

Bookings: Bexfield, McNeil

Goals: Defty (90), Harris (91)

Referee: P Burnham (Norfolk)

Attendance: 689