Great Yarmouth returned to the Ridgeons Premier Division in style with a 4-1 victory at Wivenhoe on Saturday afternoon.In fact, it was a good weekend for Norfolk with none of the county's sides in the division losing.

Great Yarmouth returned to the Ridgeons Premier Division in style with a 4-1 victory at Wivenhoe on Saturday afternoon.

In fact, it was a good weekend for Norfolk with none of the county's sides in the division losing.

Dereham were 6-1 winners over Histon Reserves, Mildenhall beat Stanway Rovers 2-1, Norwich United beat Hadleigh 3-0 and Wroxham drew 0-0 with FC Clacton.

Yarmouth beat last season's wooden spoonists Wivenhoe with ease, even without last season' top goal scorer Stewart Roach, following his midweek move to Norwich United.

“I was just pleased for the players really, such a young team,” said Yarmouth manager Paul Tong.

“Our new signing Richard Durrant slotted in superbly at the back alongside Craig Roberts. It was a good all-round performance. However, one swallow doesn't make a summer and there will be tougher challenges to come, but it is a good start and I'm looking forward to it now!”

On the subject of striker Roach's departure, Tong remarked: “Stewart's a legend and he'll always be welcome at the club as long as I'm here, and I'm sure others. His circumstances changed and you can't blame the lad.

“It's the end of one chapter and the start of another. We'll miss his quality for sure but today, with what we played against, I thought the boys did enough,” he added.

Luke Fell and Dominic Smith struck two powerful blows to put Yarmouth firmly in command, and Gavin Norman made it three just before the break after seizing on a weak back pass and poking it past the keeper.

Yarmouth had totally dominated the first half and increased their lead through Jake Reed on the hour when his delicate finish was well placed to defeat the flailing keeper's dive.

The home side did finally start putting together some attacking moves and Lewis Blanchett pulled one back when allowed a free shot at the back post.

Young Yarmouth keeper Jake Jessup, on his competitive debut, made a couple of cracking saves.

Meanwhile, Norwich United opened the new season with an impressive three-goal vicotry at Hadleigh.

The game was decided in the opening 30 minutes as Paul Chick's side breezed into an emphatic lead.

Hadleigh improved after the break but never looked like getting back into the game and Norwich looked more likely to score and comfortably held on to secure the three points.

Andrew Claydon gave the Planters an early lead after Justin Fox's quick free kick released Ben Furlong wide on the left and his first-time cross was controlled by Claydon who then turned and struck a lovely crisp

first-time shot past Arron Benstead into the corner of the net.

The Planters doubled their lead when Lee Hunter's excellent delivery from a left-wing corner was headed home at the near post by Steve Shipley's firm header.

Soon after it was 3-0, Claydon finding Fox wide on the right inside the penalty area and his sublime chip from an acute angle floated into the far corner of Benstead's net.

After the break Hadleigh were more spirited but limited to long-range shots, Blyth shot wide after good build-up work from Gareth Simpson and Page. Claydon hit the bar with a strong shot.

New signing Stewart Roach came on late in the game and almost got on the scoresheet in injury time but after a lovely ball in from Simpson he hit his shot just over the bar.

Dereham hit youthful visitors Histon Reserves for six, with one in reply, with a convincing display, Danny Beaumont netting a hat-trick.

The Magpies opened the scoring when Ryan Foster fed Scott Roberts who directed a deep cross to the far post where Beaumont headed home via the underside of the bar.

Then a superb flowing five-man move ended with Gary Starling's powerful 20-yarder being turned for a corner. Histon equalised but then were reduced to ten men when Jake Twinn was red carded for stamping on Ollie Willis.

In the second half Beaumont curled a free kick into the bottom left-hand corner. Dereham increased their lead with Adam Smith netting from close range and the impressive Scott Roberts made it four for Dereham in the 64th minute with a well-taken individual effort.

New signing Steve Harley headed home number five following Sam Willis' ball from the far post. Beaumont hit his third late on, firing home from close range following Harley's delicate chipped pass.

Wisbech had a great start to the season by beating hosts Leiston 3-1. Tommy Treacher scored the first from a Matt Lunn cross before Leiston equalised. Two second-half penalties by Andy Furnell, awarded after Lunn was brought down on both occasions, secured the win for Wisbech.

Mildenhall's 2-1 home win over Stanway was thanks to goals from

M Harvey and A Ross.

Other results were CRC 9, Woodbridge 3, Debenham LC 4, Brantham 0; Felixstowe & Walton 0, Ely City 2; Haverhill 1, Walsham-le-Willows 0; Leiston 1, Wisbech 3; Newmarket 0, Kirkley & Pakefield 0.