A brilliant second half brace from Andrew Fisk steered Lowestoft into the first round of the FA Cup tonight.

Lowestoft Town 4, Gloucester City 2

A brilliant second half brace from Andrew Fisk steered Lowestoft into the first round of the FA Cup tonight.

Fisk struck midway through the half and again at the death to sink Gloucester City and send the magnificent Trawler Boys off to Wales for a clash with Conference outfit Wrexham.

The home side had got off to the perfect start with a penalty from Matt Nolan after ten minutes and a volley from Scott Mitchell seven minutes later to deservedly earn a two-goal lead.

But Lee Smith replied with a penalty of his own, and although Fisk calmed Town's nerves with his side's third, Smith struck again with five minutes remaining to set up a grandstand finish.

However susbstitute Jamie Godbold did brilliantly down the right hand side to roll the ball back to Fisk to finally settle the tie in the third minute of stoppage time, sending a bumper crowd of 2,247 at Crown Meadow into delirium.

Town made one change from the team which nicked a draw at Gloucester, with Mitchell coming in for the suspended Adam Smith, and he was instrumental in the Blues' great start.

He fed the ball to Fisk after just ten minutes and as the diminutive midfielder strode into the box he was pulled down by City's Matt Rose who was subsequently booked.

Nolan stepped up and drove the ball low into the net to Mike Green's right, although the keeper did get a hand to the kick.

And just minutes later Town were in dreamland against a side from two divisions higher.

Neil Plaskett's long throw was only cleared to the edge of the box and Mitchell cleverly steered his volley from waist height into the bottom corner with Green beaten.

With a two goal lead, Town sat back slightly, and City made a tactical switch with the hapless James Baldwin being replaced by Neil Mustoe.

And gradually the visitors got back into the game without really threatening the home goal.

But with just five minutes until the interval, Mitchell barged into Tom Webb on the edge of the box and referee Sean Feerick pointed to the penalty spot for the second time on the night.

Smith stepped up and duly smashed the ball low to Andy Reynolds right.

The start of the second half was all about Gloucester as the team from the Conference North piled on the pressure. But with the centre back pairing of Matt Halliday and skipper Greg Crane resolute, the visitors' attacks floundered, and Town worked themselves back into the game.

The best move of the match then brought them a third goal.

Gary Holt fed the ball wide to Plaskett and after he exchanged passes with Craig Bussens, his first time cross was headed home by the diving Fisk at the near post.

City heads dropped and Town made changes with Ross King and Dale Cockrill coming on for Mitchell and Gary McGee to shore up the midfield.

But with time ebbing away, Town were caught out by City's second.

From fully 30 yards out, Smith fired in a speculative right foot shot which Reynolds appeared to have covered, but somehow it slipped under his grasp and in.

City piled forward again with keeper Green even coming up for a corner to no avail.

As time ticked beyond the 90 minutes, sub Godbold did brilliantly down the right, beating two men, and as he strode into the box he pulled the ball back for the superb Fisk to fire his right foot shot low into the far corner with Green totally beaten.

Somehow the referee found a staggering eight minutes of added time, but by now City were a demoralised side and Town played out the final few seconds knowing a trip to Wrexham on Saturday week was theirs.

Lowestoft: Reynolds; Plaskett, Potter, Crane, Halliday; Bussens (Godbold 77), Mitchell (King 62), Fisk, Holt, McGee (Dale Cockrill 62), Nolan. Subs not used: T Marsden, Darren Cockrill, Jon Lovelock, Gary Williams.

Gloucester: Green, Baldwin (Mustoe 24), Marshall Sykes 62), Richards, Hamblin, Rose, Smith, Webb, Pitcher, Symons (Morford 65), Ballinger

Refereee: Sean Feerick. Attendance: 2,247