Match reports from Saturday's games in the Ridgeons League Premier Division and First Division.



by Roy Webster

If Wroxham fail to make third spot come the end of the season they may have to reflect on missing three clear-cut scoring chances in a game that remained goal-less at the end of a fairly entertaining first period.

Mildenhall, who are destined for a mid-table finish, looked sharp and Robinson flashed a header narrowly wide from a corner in the early stages.

At the other end Key lost a one-on-one chase with the keeper who managed to get a toe to the ball and clear over the touchline.

Still Wroxham pressed forward and Halliday squared the ball neatly to Gilmore who blazed 10-foot over the target.

The visitors then had their best scoring opportunity when Spriggs crossed and a Sands header rattled the crossbar, and the ball came back into play from where it was cleared by a hasty defender.

Now Mildenhall clearly felt they could break the deadlock, but it was home keeper McAnally who thwarted them with a spectacular one-handed save from Baillie following a free kick on the left.

Gilmore found himself in possession in front of an open goal but dallied just too long, allowing keeper Pope to dash back to block.

Wroxham now were putting their visitors under siege and Key flicked on to Lemmon who fired straight at the keeper in the centre of the goal.

Minutes later a third chance went begging when Halliday completely mis-kicked when well placed.

Half-time: Wroxham 0, Mildenhall 0

For the second time Key and visiting keeper Pope were in a race for the ball and again the Mildenhall man booted clear.

Wroxham then had a great chance to break the deadlock when White first hit a post and then the keeper blocked with Halliday following up hitting the back of the net, but the flag was up for offside.

Wroxham continued to press for the vital winner and Self produced a great low cross into the danger area but again Pope made smoke as he raced from his line to cut out the cross as Gilmore was running in.

For the third time Key and Pope challenged for the ball and this time the Wroxham man got the touch but, with the net unguarded, the ball dribbled past the wrong side of the left-hand upright.

Wroxham relinquished all three points in the last 10 minutes.

McAnally brought down OWEN PAINTER in the box and the number 10 stood up to fire fearlessly into the top left hand corner from the spot.

Wroxham were pushing up for an equaliser but instead conceded a second goal to JOHN SANDS a minute before the end and that was their hope of a third-place finish evaporating as they prepare for their penultimate game at Leiston on Wednesday.

Result: Wroxham 0, Mildenhall Town 2

Wroxham: McAnally, Pauling, Howes, Challen, Halliday, Carus, White, Lemmon, Self, Key, Gilmore.

Subs: McCabe, Goff, Southgate, Sexton, Snowling.

Mildenhall: Pope, Harvey, Baillie, Werthmann, Karrie, Simpson, Spriggs, Robinson, Sands, Paynter, Paterson.

Subs: Cooper, Coe, Murkin, Turner.

Ref: Colin Francis, Ely.


by Rene Kendal

Dereham were looking to avenge a heavy defeat at the Abbey Stadium and get back to winning ways against second-place CRC.

Ben Furlong returned to the first team in place of injured Stuart Garner.

Ollie Willis spread play to Terrington who delivered a low centre that Beagle snatched from the boot of Mowbray as he looked to pounce.

The visiting keeper then made a vital close-range save to deny the Dereham striker again after Howell had played him in.

The Magpies were soon in front courtesy of a superbly-taken goal.

After defending a CRC corner NICKY HOWELL flicked the ball to Terrington who sent the midfielder away down the right and after speeding past the last defender he coolly planted the ball home.

Both teams were using the ball well but it was the Magpies who nearly netted when Mowbray just failed to convert a fine cross from Beaumont.

Dereham increased their lead and registered their 100th league goal of the season with a fantastic individual effort.

After receiving the ball from Smith on the right OLLIE WILLIS weaved his way past three players before lifting the ball past Beagle and into the roof of the net in the 34th minute.

The home side were now well on top and sloppy play by the young Cambridge side enabled

Beaumont to charge down Beagle's attempted clearance but the ball flew to safety.

In the 39th minute it was 3-0 with DANNY BEAUMONT scoring from the spot after Coackley up-ended Howell in the box after Barrett had put him through.

Half-time: Dereham 3, CRC 0

In the 50th minute Mowbray headed a Terrington flag-kick onto the left-hand post with Williams placing the rebound straight into Beagle's arms as the home assault continued.

Keeper Beagle had to be alert to palm a 30-yard Beaumont shot to safety after the striker had nearly deceived with an early strike.

The Magpies increased theirlead when SIMON MOWBRAY beat Beagle to Terrington's corner from the right to head home in the 62nd minute.

CRC's Bailey was booked for dangerous play before forcing home keeper Higgs into his first real save from his well directed 20-yard curler in the 70th minute.

Dereham brought on Buhlemann for Ollie Willis who had enjoyed an excellent match.

Marriott curled a 20-yard free-kick around the wall but off target in the 82nd minute.

The young Cambridge side were battling gamely and Higgs made a fine save to deny substitute Hughes diving full length to turn aside his fierce drive from outside the box.

The Magpies took the points with an excellent display and they play their final home fixture against Felixstowe on Tuesday, kick off 7.45pm.

Result: Dereham 4, CRC 0

Dereham: J Higgs, O Willis, B Furlong, J Eastoe-Smith, S Williams, D Beaumont, N Howell, A Smith, S Mowbray, T Barrett, C Terrington. Subs: A Gusterson, S Willis, D Buhlemann, P Atkins, M Powley.

CRC: S Beagle, L Hipwell, D Coakel, R McAuley, L Carr, S Ives, J Patrick, L Berry, J Bailey, A Marriott, J Eades.

Subs: R McGeorge, O Kessack, L Hughes, J Cooper.

Ref: Mr J Kelly, Stalham.


by Stuart Baker

Kirkley visited bottom-of-the-table Haverhill Rovers with the same line-up as the previous week and looking for their eighth double of the season.

Blyth netted after an initial shot by Horton was saved by Campbell but his effort was ruled out for offside.

Haverhill were making it hard work for Kirkley with some no-nonsense defending as Harvey Cooper, who was having a fine match, set up a shot from Ian Dawson who brought keeper Campbell to his knees.

Kirkley took an astonishing lead on 75 seconds when a neat through-ball by Fox was chased down by LIAM HARVEY-COOPER, who beat keeper Ed Campbell to the ball and scored a simple opening goal.

The goal scorer then had a great chance of putting another one into the net after Blythe and Fox had worked an opening but he shot three yards over the bar on eight minutes.

On a dusty pitch Banham tested Woodcock with a high free-kick on the 20th-minute mark.

Half-time: Haverhill 0, Kirkley & Pakefield 2

A reverse pass put Henderson into a scoring position but he overran the ball and his intended cross flew well over the bar.

Fighting for their Premiership lives Haverhill stuck to the task and Jamie Challis shot on the run just wide of the target.

The goal that Kirkley had been looking for came on 64 minutes. Blyth was fouled on the edge of the box and a Fox free-kick came in and a glancing header by BLYTH flashed into the Haverhill net.

On 75 minutes Kirkley keeper ROBERT WOODCOCK made it 3-0 yet again from the penalty spot with his sixth goal of the season.

This was after Henderson was up-ended in the box by keeper Campbell when Blyth's through-ball had sent the flying winger clear of the home defence.

Result: Haverhill Rovers 0, Kirkley and Pakefield 3

Haverhill Rovers: E Campbell, T Kirk, L Hughes, S Holmes, S Kingham, J Challis, L Harper, M Hunt, M Westcott, S Banham, R Kent. Subs: H Halls, N Hammond, L Sharp, J Robertson, L Stockings.

Kirkley and Pakefield: R Woodcock, R De-Coteau, S Manning, J Jefford, J Cole, I Dawson, R Horton, J Fox, J Blythe, L Harvey-Cooper, C Henderson. Subs: L Blois, T Grint, J Newrick.

Ref: Mike Blackledge from Stanground.



by Gerry Brown

Yarmouth kicked off and had a header and a shot in the opening minute at the sunny Green's Meadow, which certainly lived up to its name today.

Watt conceded the first corner in the fourth minute soon followed by a second from which Hilton rose at the back post to make a safe catch.

It took Yarmouth all of 27 minutes to earn their first corner but another followed four minutes later from which they took the lead.

Woodcock slung the ball into the near post and Gorbould came up from defence to slide the ball home.

Half-time: Stowmarket 0, Yarmouth 1

Lawrence shot wide from 30 yards after good play by Sewell and Bartley in the centre circle.

A few minutes later Nino won a great tussle also in the centre circle against three Stowmarket players and won a free-kick from which a defender headed out for a Yarmouth throw from the corner flag.

Yarmouth brought on Brett and Bell and almost immediately Stowmarket won a penalty in the 74th minute conceded by Watt. Deller scored in the corner as Hilton chose the wrong direction.

Five minutes later Yarmouth were back in front with a penalty of their own. Bartley went up for a ball on the edge of the box but was pushed over by Phoenix and Woodcock scored the spot-kick high past Charters' left hand.

Hilton brought off a fine save tipping a Ward shot over the bar seven minutes from the end.

But there was no addition to the score as Yarmouth took all the points.

Result: Stowmarket 1, Yarmouth 2

Stowmarket: R Charters, W Phoenix, D Pleasance, G Wood, A King, C Brown, D Allen, J Graham, S Bartholomew, R Deasy, T Deller. Subs: J Sharp, R Wearing, L Newman.

Yarmouth: M Hilton, J Watt, O Savage, T Gorbould, A Ager, A Darby, S Woodcock, Nino, L Bartley, D Lawrence, A Sewell. Subs: M Thompson, J Reed, J Bell, R Brett.

Ref: Jon Mitchell from Ipswich.