South Yorkshire Police charge two men from Sheffield after Norwich fans hospitalised in post-match violence

PUBLISHED: 16:49 18 September 2017 | UPDATED: 16:49 18 September 2017

A scene is taped off after Norwich fans were allegedly attacked outside Bramall Lane. Picture: @ncfckeith

A scene is taped off after Norwich fans were allegedly attacked outside Bramall Lane. Picture: @ncfckeith


Two men have been charged by police in South Yorkshire after violence erupted following Norwich’s 1-0 away in against Sheffield United.

Canaries fans were attacked by rival supporters on Saturday afternoon as they left Bramall Lane, with two men left seriously injured.

South Yorkshire Police said they have now charged two men from Sheffield in relation to a dispute outside the ground.

But the force said both men were not connected to the assault on the two Norwich men, who had to be taken to hospital for treatment.

Officers investigating the disorder which took place following the game, are now asking for witnesses to come forward.

Police said at around 5pm, a “disturbance” broke out between a group of people which left two men from Norwich, aged 55 and 25, seriously injured.

MORE: Norwich City fan John Carver speaks of horror after broken jaw in Bramall Lane violence after Sheffield United game

PC Paul Briggs, the investigating officer, said: “Since the incident officers have been analysing CCTV footage and speaking to a number of witnesses.

“However, we’re keen for anyone who saw what happened to contact us. Information you have may prove helpful to our investigation.

“We are also aware that there were a number of people who were taking pictures and video footage of the incident. If you have any footage, please do send it in to us.

“For many people, this was an enjoyable family day out and we will not tolerate any level of disorder or violence at any matches throughout our county.”

Police said it had charged two men - Johnathan Smart, 39, of Motehall Road, Sheffield, with a section four public order offence, and Rhys Wilkinson, 22, of Raeburn Road, Sheffield, with assaulting a police officer.

Both men are due to appear before Sheffield Magistrates’ Court on October, Tuesday 10.

Norwich City Football Club said it had since written to the English Football League voicing “strong concerns” about “incidents” which took place during and after the match.

MORE: ‘It was all really scary to see’ - Norwich City fans describe violent scenes as they attempted to leave Sheffield United’ stadium

In a statement on Monday, the club said: “We are liaising with both South Yorkshire Police and Sheffield United to establish the full facts surrounding events inside and outside Bramall Lane on Saturday.

“In addition we have written to the EFL to voice our strong concerns about incidents which took place during and after the match.”

Meanwhile, Sheffield United Football Club said it was holding a full post-match investigation and was reviewing CCTV footage.

The club would not answer any further questions in regard to security at the stadium.

MORE: South Yorkshire Police has confirmed that the two men arrested following Norwich City’s clash

But in a statement, it said: “Sheffield United Football Club is aware of reported incidents at the game against Norwich City.

“We are holding a full post-match investigation. We are currently reviewing footage from our CCTV cameras, speaking with colleagues and co-operating with South Yorkshire Police before deciding if any action needs to be taken.”

• Anyone with information should call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously quoting incident number 855 of 16 September 2017.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Norwich City Video

Norwich City Audio

Norwich City Stats

The Pink Un magazine

A must-read for any Norwich City fan with in-depth, straight-talking, analysis from the best writers around.

Most Read

Latest from the Pink Un - Norwich City Football Club News