Farke’s firm response on talk Aarons faces Tottenham transfer audition
©Focus Images Limited www.focus-images.co.uk +447814 482222
Max Aarons comes up against the club heavily touted with his signature in Norwich City’s Premier League trip to Tottenham on Wednesday, but Daniel Farke is not banking on a dramatic end to the transfer window.
The England Under-21 starlet has been routinely linked with Spurs since bursting onto the first team scene at Carrow Road last season, in a campaign that ended with a Championship title winning medal and the accolade of the best young player in the Football League.
Farke brushed off transfer tittle tattle linking with prized asset with former club Borussia Dortmund earlier in the January window, and the party line held firm on Tuesday.
City have brought in Ondrej Duda and Lukas Rupp and let Dennis Srbeny and loanee Patrick Roberts depart - and the head coach is not expecting late fireworks in either direction.
"I said this a few days ago when a name is so often mentioned I wouldn't take it too seriously," he said. "Our financial situation is completely different to when I first arrived. I remember how we sold Jonny Howson, the Murphys, Alex Pritchard and then it was James Maddison. Even last season we always had to be scared there was no stupid offer.
"We know we can't spend £20m to sign a player but we are confident we don't have to sell either to keep our club running.
"We know we need our best players. Max is so humble and has both feet are on the ground.
"I don't expect us to do any more business. If there was a great opportunity towards the end we would check it. But to find players who can improve you in January straight away is tricky and expensive."