Farke braced for transfer raids on City’s best talent
PUBLISHED: 17:21 04 September 2020 | UPDATED: 17:21 04 September 2020
©Focus Images Limited https://www.focus-images.co.uk +44 7813 022858
Daniel Farke wants his ‘crown jewels’ to fire Norwich City to Championship promotion but is prepared for late transfer window interest.
Liverpool’s cheeky offer for Jamal Lewis was rejected out of hand earlier this summer, but there is still a month left before the deadline.
Farke is braced for the inevitable torrent of speculation around the likes of Max Aarons, Ben Godfrey, Todd Cantwell and Emi Buendia.
Aarons was linked with Champions League finalists PSG earlier on Friday, after previously being touted with the side who beat them in the final, Bayern Munich. The 20-year-old was then named in the England Under-21s starting line up on Friday night, alongside both Godfrey and Cantwell, for a Uefa U21 qualifier in Kosovo to underline how highly rated they are.
Farke has dismissed any notion a major influx of new faces means they have to off-load players.
“Let’s see where we are when the window is closed. At this moment everything is possible in football,” he said. “Let’s wait because the experience of the past tells you major transfers can happen quite late. I expect it will be getting worse and worse with the speculation and rumours.
“But as long as the club and these young players are open, honest and transparent with each other then we are pretty clear.
“We have said we don’t want to sell them unless we get an unbelievable crazy offer and the club has to make a decision. That is the business we are in. But they are fully in our plans.
“I have to say I am unbelievably pleased we did our signings already and managed to bed them in during pre-season.
“They have improved our group.
“Our gut feeling is the group is not too big. Yes, with one or two young players there could be a loan option. But I don’t expect there to be too much outgoings.”
City fans have already had a tantalising glimpse of the next wave of academy talent, with Josh Martin and new Republic of Ireland international Adam Idah firmly part of the first team set up.
“I was pretty delighted for Adam to get his first start,” said Farke, after his teenage frontman’s full debut in Thursday’s Uefa Nations League 1-1 draw in Bulgaria. “It helps a bit his former under-21 manager is in charge who knows him. I didn’t watch the whole game but it was a tough one, not easy for Adam to shine.
“I am proud of him and our academy.
“He is one of our products and it says a lot about the way we are going. At such a young age for him to be starting for his country in an important game is great. It is fully deserved.
“He is a great character. He still has to work on areas of his game but he has done that since he first arrived.”