City prepared to sanction Leitner and Trybull exits
PUBLISHED: 10:36 05 August 2020 | UPDATED: 13:03 05 August 2020
©Focus Images Limited www.focus-images.co.uk +447814 482222
Moritz Leitner and Tom Trybull can leave Norwich City this summer - with Leitner’s representative revealing they are actively working to find the midfielder a new club.
The duo look set to be part of the on-going squad overhaul, overseen by sporting director Stuart Webber and head coach Daniel Farke, in order to equip the Canaries with the personnel for a Championship promotion push.
Josip Drmic is another who may move on, after the Swiss international recently revealed talks were underway about his Carrow Road future, with the striker open to a potential move.
Both Leitner and Trybull had limited opportunities to impress after the early months of the failed Premier League campaign. Leitner underwent hernia surgery, ruling him out of the run in, and his agent, Wassily Krastanas, is quoted by PA on Wednesday morning as saying they are now exploring other options.
“Together with the club we are looking for a good solution, with which both the club and the player are happy,” he said. “Moritz had a great time in Norwich and has developed in every way. The discussions were and are always open and fair, that is what characterises the people responsible for the Canaries.”
Leitner made only 10 senior appearances last season, with his last outing coming in the FA Cup win at Preston in January. Farke was forced to dismiss reports of a fall out with the former Borussia Dortmund youngster earlier in the season.
Trybull made 20 appearances in total last season, but missed the run in. Farke indicated the German midfielder’s absence was for ‘personal reasons’ after the Premier League finale at Manchester City.
Both Trybull and Leitner are under contract at Carrow Road until 2022, with City believed to have a further one year option on Trybull.
City have already recruited Jacob Sorensen and Kieran Dowell, along with Melvin Sitti, as fresh options for central midfield positions ahead of the new Championship season.
Webber, speaking after relegation had been confirmed, made it clear there would be departures.
“There will be changes. After three years it is probably natural to freshen it up. Whatever division we were in,” said the club’s sporting director. “Any player we recruit permanently has to be able to help us if we get back to the Premier League.
“Some of those departures will be on our terms and if it is time for players to go we will do that quickly.”