Paulinho not on Canaries’ radar ahead of busy summer

PUBLISHED: 11:53 20 July 2020 | UPDATED: 11:53 20 July 2020

Norwich City sporting director Stuart Webber, left, and head coach Daniel Farke Picture: Archant

Norwich City sporting director Stuart Webber, left, and head coach Daniel Farke Picture: Archant

Archant

Braga striker Paulinho is not on Norwich City’s summer wishlist, after fresh reports in Portugal linking him with the Canaries.

City were previously touted with the 27-year-old frontman, who reportedly has a €15m buy out clause, ahead of their Premier League bow.

Portuguese sports newspaper, O Jogo, claimed on Sunday the relegated Canaries had targeted the Portuguese league’s joint top scorer as an option for the Championship return.

City had reportedly made contact with a view to ‘assessing the value of Paulinho for potential business’, but the 17-goal forward will not be heading to Carrow Road in the coming weeks.

Paulinho is under contract at Braga until 2023 and is currently spearheading his club’s bid for a European place ahead of Monday’s league trip to Tondela.

Norwich’s sporting director Stuart Webber outlined last week there will be a squad turnover at Carrow Road following Premier League relegation.

City already have a number of deals in place as they plot a Championship fightback, with the likes of Jacob Sorensen, Bali Mumba and Matthew Dennis heavily touted with summer moves to Norfolk.

Meanwhile Polish wide player Przemyslaw Placheta was left out of Slask Wroclaw’s final game of the league season on Sunday evening.

Slask’s vice president, Wojciech Bochnak, told Polish media last week the Canaries were closing in on the youngster in what would be a club record deal - believed to be €2m plus add ons.

The 22-year-old wide player is one of the hottest properties in Polish football after netting eight goals and five assists in 35 appearances.

“We are in for lots of players at the minute and we are close on three or four things and I sure when the dust settles on this season we will quickly show our actions,” said Webber. “What I would say is we are in a place where we can invest a higher amount in talented players, rather than trying to find talent on the cheap. Now we can invest more money in that area.

“You will hear no excuses from me next season, in terms of finances, around the squad.”

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper company has followed Norwich City through good times and bad. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce in depth coverage that makes a measurable difference to our community. OTBC

Norwich City Video

Norwich City Audio

Norwich City Stats

The Pink Un magazine

cover
A must-read for any Norwich City fan with in-depth, straight-talking, analysis from the best writers around.
Purchase

Latest from the Pink Un - Norwich City Football Club News

Get In Touch

General Enquiries

(01603) 772334

The PinkUn, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich, NR1 1RE

Advertising