City have Dixon bid rejected

PUBLISHED: 12:38 06 June 2007 | UPDATED: 10:19 14 September 2010

Norwich City have had a bid to sign Dundee defender Paul Dixon rejected as Canaries boss Peter Grant looks to bolster his squad. City made an offer of around £100,000 although it is understood the League One Scottish side are looking for more than double that amount and Norwich are not willing to match that valuation.

Norwich City have had a bid to sign Dundee defender Paul Dixon rejected as Canaries boss Peter Grant looks to bolster his squad.

City made an offer of around £100,000 although it is understood the League One Scottish side are looking for more than double that amount and Norwich are not willing to match that valuation.

A Dundee club statement said: “There was an unsolicited enquiry from Norwich for Paul Dixon which has been rejected and we now consider the matter closed.”

Bolton and Southampton have also been tracking the 20-year-old, who Canaries assistant manager Jim Duffy identified as a star of the future during his time at Dens Park.

Duffy has not forgotten about the youngster however and recommended Norwich make a move for Dixon this summer as he has just one year to run on his contract with the Scottish side.

Dixon has told Dundee that he won't sign a new deal with them giving the Dark Blues a choice of cutting their asking price and selling him now or taking their chances with a tribunal set fee next summer.

Dixon has earned himself a reputation as a long-throw specialist whilst also having a cultured left foot but with City skipper Adam Drury recently signing a new four-year contract at Carrow Road, he would have a real battle trying to get into the Canaries' starting line-up.

But City's threadbare squad was exposed last season when a series of injuries to Drury meant Grant had to deploy midfielder Simon Lappin at full-back.

Grant is determined for the same not to happen again and has embarked on a player search the length and breadth of Europe to ensure City have a squad to cope with the rigours of the Championship.

Meanwhile, Norwich's hopes of landing Scunthorpe striker Billy Sharp have been boosted by the news that Sheffield Wednesday have pulled out of the race to sign him.

The Owls have had two bids turned down for the player and Wednesday boss Brian Laws has shelved his interest and will now look elsewhere.

Scunthorpe chairman Steve Wharton is confident of getting the £2m they are asking for and admitted last week he had been made aware of Norwich's interest in the 21-year-old.

Wharton said: “Clubs looking at Billy know that our asking price is £2million, plus various other things built into the package to make it substantially more.”

Most Read

Norwich City Video

Norwich City Audio

Norwich City Stats

The Pink Un magazine

cover
A must-read for any Norwich City fan with in-depth, straight-talking, analysis from the best writers around.
Purchase

Most Read

Latest from the Pink Un - Norwich City Football Club News