Clarke snubs City for games
PUBLISHED: 10:21 11 August 2006 | UPDATED: 09:33 14 September 2010
Canaries target Clive Clarke turned down a move to Norwich because he could not be guaranteed first team football. The Republic of Ireland full-back has moved from West Ham to Sunderland in a deal which takes George McCartney the other way.
By CHRIS LAKEY
Canaries target Clive Clarke turned down a move to Norwich because he could not be guaranteed first team football.
The Republic of Ireland full-back has moved from West Ham to Sunderland in a deal which takes George McCartney the other way.
Worthington had been linked with the 26-year-old left back on previous occasions, and had hoped to sign him as cover for Adam Drury.
However, Sunderland could offer Clarke what Worthington couldn't - a first team start - leaving the City boss to continue his search for cover for his skipper.
“We are looking at that very much,” he said. “We would have liked to try and get Clive Clarke, but he has gone to Sunderland, partially from the point of view that he was looking for guaranteed first team football and I am not going to tell anybody any lies.
“I can't guarantee anybody it - it is on performances. If somebody is doing it then they're in, if they're not then we'd look to change.
“To give cover for Adam to give back-up for Adam will be very important for us. If it's the right person we will do it, if not we will have to mix and match with what we have got.”
Worthington has until August 31 to add to his squad - with the left back spot and a big striker his priorities.
He would appear to be running out of options as far as the striker role is concerned, and yesterday distanced himself from a suggestion that he would be interested in Ipswich's Sam Parkin.
“We will continue to look for a big man but a big man will only come in if it's doing to be right and help take us forward,” he said. “Sam Parkin is an Ipswich player, that's the end of it, nothing to do with me.”