Grant is set for more bad news

PUBLISHED: 10:55 29 January 2007 | UPDATED: 10:02 14 September 2010

DAVID CUFFLEY

City boss Peter Grant admits he may miss out on his latest transfer target - with just three days left of the January sales. The transfer window closes at midnight on Wednesday and a fresh bout of injuries and suspensions has made his need for reinforcements more urgent than ever.

City boss Peter Grant admits he may miss out on his latest transfer target - with just three days left of the January sales.

The transfer window closes at midnight on Wednesday and a fresh bout of injuries and suspensions has made his need for reinforcements more urgent than ever.

But midfielder Mark Fotheringham, said to have been offered terms at Carrow Road, may be about to choose Rangers ahead of Norwich.

Grant has reportedly offered the 23-year-old a two-year deal at City, but the midfielder is training with Rangers - and Aberdeen and Hibs are also interested.

Dundee-born Fotheringham - who quit Swiss side Aarau last week in the hope of rekindling his international career - began his career at Celtic before moving to Dundee and then Freiburg in Germany.

His agent, Charlie Duddy, said: “Mark has the offer of a two-year contract at Norwich and a host of other clubs are interested.

“There's strong interest from Scotland and England and we'll assess all our options before making any decision.”

Grant said: "He is a terrific player, a great skilful player with wonderful ability, there is no doubt about that.

“He went to Germany and did very well there and then went to Switzerland for a while and played exceptionally well and wants to come back to Britain.

“Unfortunately, Rangers are in their first, but I have obviously spoken to the boy. He is very, very keen to come to Norwich. But Rangers are a massive club and if he gets the chance to go there maybe that's the chance he will take. But he knows I am interested so we will see how things go on from here.”

Grant is also reported to have had an inquiry for midfielder Simon Lappin rejected by St Mirren.

Grant and Love Street boss Gus MacPherson are said to have discussed a move for 24-year-old Lappin but the Saints would need to get an immediate replacement with the transfer window's about to close.

St Mirren chairman Stewart Gilmour said: “The managers have spoken but no formal offer has been made for Simon.”

Grant admitted: “I am desperate to add to the squad, but every time you think you are close to it, the ball seems to move again.

“Managers might let players out but only on loan - but they are asking for a massive loan fee, which is incredible, so I am finding it very, very difficult.

“We have to do something, but there are only so many players out there who would make this team better and when you try and get them they have got to be available.”

Most Read

Norwich City Video

Norwich City Audio

Norwich City Stats

The Pink Un magazine

cover
A must-read for any Norwich City fan with in-depth, straight-talking, analysis from the best writers around.
Purchase

Most Read

Latest from the Pink Un - Norwich City Football Club News