Hucks: Worst team in years

PUBLISHED: 12:16 24 September 2007 | UPDATED: 10:35 14 September 2010

DAVID CUFFLEY

Darren Huckerby delivered a damning verdict on Norwich City's Championship campaign so far after a humiliating defeat at Wolves - labelling the current squad the weakest in his time with the club.

Darren Huckerby delivered a damning verdict on Norwich City's Championship campaign so far after a humiliating defeat at Wolves - labelling the current squad the weakest in his time with the club.

A 2-0 reverse at Molineux, their fourth in five league games, left Peter Grant's men fifth from bottom of the table after seven matches.

To make matters worse, the Canaries finished the match with nine men after skipper Jason Shackell and midfielder Julien Brellier were sent off.

And Huckerby, now in his fifth season with City, claimed afterwards the squad was just not strong enough.

The 31-year-old double player of the year was critical of team-mates Shackell and Brellier for “ridiculous” red cards, lamented the summer departures of midfield pair Dickson Etuhu and Youssef Safri and described the current situation as “quite scary”.

Said Huckerby: “The fact of the matter is, we haven't been good enough all season. We nicked a couple of results, but we've not controlled any games all the way through the season, so at the minute it's got to get better.”

He said that, apart from a spell in the Cardiff home game, City had not been in control in matches.

“If you're not playing well, the pressure is always on. Last year, I still think we controlled games better than we have this year.

“Like I've said, I think we're missing a few players. We miss Dickson, we miss Saf, it's plain to see.

“We're not playing well. Since I've been here this is probably the weakest we've looked, so it's quite scary, to be honest.

“We've had additions but we're not looking as strong as we have done.”

He acknowledged that the Wolves game had been one-way traffic, saying: “They were on top all the way through. The sending-offs just summed up the way we played today.”

Huckerby accepted referee Steve Bennett was “spot-on” with the two red cards, but with Dion Dublin already serving a three-match ban, felt his team-mates should have known better.

He said: “It's a difficult place to come, and the two sendings-off were ridiculous. They know that, so it's not something that I'm saying out of turn.

“We weren't playing well but then to get two sendings-off - ridiculous sendings-off with Dion already gone - basically the game's over. At 2-0, if we get a goal back we've got some kind of chance maybe, but to have two people sent off for stupid things, it's not easy.”

Huckerby should have been looking forward to a return to former club Manchester City in the Carling Cup tomorrow night, but is more concerned about the next two Championship games, at home to Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday and Scunthorpe a week tomorrow.He said: “To be honest, we're not going to win the Carling Cup. We'll go there and give it our best shot but the more important game is Saturday and it's going to be difficult because we're missing players and we haven't got the biggest squad in the world, anyway. We've gone from a good win last week to two games where we've lost three players and got no points. So it's not been a good week.”

Become a supporter

This newspaper company has followed Norwich City through good times and bad. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce in depth coverage that makes a measurable difference to our community. OTBC

Norwich City Video

Norwich City Audio

Norwich City Stats

The Pink Un magazine

cover
A must-read for any Norwich City fan with in-depth, straight-talking, analysis from the best writers around.
Purchase

Latest from the Pink Un - Norwich City Football Club News