McDonald at double for Canaries

PUBLISHED: 23:06 10 July 2010 | UPDATED: 17:24 10 September 2010

David Cuffley

Dereham Town 0, Norwich City 3: Striker Cody McDonald scored two second-half goals as Norwich City kicked off their pre-season programme with victory over their Ridgeons League opponents.

Cody McDonald leaves Dereham keeper John Higgs flailing as he nets his second goal. Picture: Anthony Kelly

Dereham Town 0, Norwich City 3

Striker Cody McDonald scored two second-half goals as Norwich City kicked off their pre-season programme with victory over their Ridgeons League opponents.

Defender Michael Nelson was the other scorer on a scorching afternoon at Dereham's Aldiss Park.

Manager Paul Lambert fielded a completely different eleven in each half, playing five of his six summer signings. Defender Elliott Ward was the only new recruit to miss out because of a knock on his Achilles.

In all, Lambert used 24 players, but there was no sign of midfield pair Matthew Gill and Owain Tudur Jones, nor defender Rhoys Wiggins, while goalkeeper Declan Rudd was away on England Under-19 duty.

A crowd of about 2,000 basked in glorious sunshine as they were given their first glimpse of the new-look Canaries.

Dereham had one opportunity in the seventh minute when Daniel Beaumount's curling free-kick was saved by John Ruddy, but City's new keeper was a virtual spectator for the rest of the first half.

At the other end, home keeper Shaun Marshall was busy, tipping over Andrew Crofts' volley after Crofts did well to control Adam Drury's cross, and saving acrobatically from Grant Holt's shot following a Chris Martin centre.

Between those efforts, Nelson struck the bar with a header from Simon Lappin's corner, but Nelson was not to be denied in the 24th minute when Marshall pushed out Wes Hoolahan's long-range effort and Holt battled to win the loose ball and set up a simple chance for Nelson to knock home.

Holt had a header saved from Lappin's cross and there were further efforts from Holt, Chris Martin and Crofts before the interval.

After the break, Josh Dawkin headed wide from Anthony McNamee's cross and, at the other end, Jed Steer saved well from Scott Woodgate.

But after Dereham replaced keeper Marshall with John Higgs, he was beaten twice in the space of three minutes.

McDonald scored in the 67th minute with a superb effort from outside the area from a pass from Andrew Surman, then he tucked another close-range effort away to make it 3-0.

McDonald nearly had a hat-trick with a header from Oli Johnson's cross but Olly Willis headed off the line, then Higgs foiled him twice in the space of two minutes.

Dereham gave a good account of themselves in unrelenting heat and could be pleased with their efforts.

Dereham Town - Marshall, Olly Willis, Starling, Gusterson, Eastoe-Smith, Beaumont, Sam Willis, Smith, Reeves, Roberts, Harley. Subs: Higgs, Thompson, Woodgate, Cross, Manning, Wallace, Gilding, Downes, Reeves, King, Brian.

Norwich City - First half: Ruddy, Russell Martin, Nelson, Askou, Drury, Crofts, Fox, Lappin, Hoolahan, Holt, Chris Martin. Second half: Steer, Korey Smith, Francomb, Whitbread, Steven Smith; Dawkin (Gordon, 88 min), Hughes, Surman, McNamee (Oakley, 88 min); McDonald, Johnson.

Goals - City: Nelson (24 min), McDonald (67, 70 min).

Referee - Michael George.

Attendance - 2,000.

Most Read

Norwich City Video

Norwich City Audio

Norwich City Stats

The Pink Un magazine

A must-read for any Norwich City fan with in-depth, straight-talking, analysis from the best writers around.

Most Read

Latest from the Pink Un - Norwich City Football Club News