Norwich City set to unveil Simon Whaley
PUBLISHED: 07:30 24 July 2009 | UPDATED: 16:22 10 September 2010
Norwich will officially unveil Simon Whaley today after the midfielder's Preston move was held up by concerns over an old injury. City's hierarchy insisted the 24-year-old get the all clear from specialists after routine scans highlighted a minor issue during the first part of his club medical earlier this week.
Norwich will officially unveil Simon Whaley today after the midfielder's Preston move was held up by concerns over an old injury.
City's hierarchy insisted the 24-year-old get the all clear from specialists after routine scans highlighted a minor issue during the first part of his club medical earlier this week.
Preston chairman Derek Shaw revealed Whaley's scare dated back to his previous club but the Bolton-born midfielder went on to make 120 league appearances for the Lilywhites during a three and a half year stint.
“This one seems to have gone on longer than the Ronaldo transfer,” said Shaw. “To be fair, even though we gave Norwich permission early last week to speak to Simon, things only really got going on Monday because the lad's advisor was on holiday.
“I believe Simon had a medical there and a scan was showing up an old injury, something he got when he was at Bury. Norwich rightly wanted that checking out and chose to have a specialist look at Simon. I think everything will be okay and I expect it all to be done very soon.”
Whaley will become Bryan Gunn's seventh permanent signing of an increasingly hectic close season at Carrow Road after City agreed an undisclosed fee with North End.
The 24-year-old could be a surprise inclusion in Gunn's squad for tomorrow's home pre-season opener against a Man United XI but his City bow is more likely to come against Wigan the following weekend.
Whaley provides further competition in an increasingly congested midfield alongside fellow close season arrivals Owain Tudur Jones, Matthew Gill and latest recruit Stephen Hughes.
Gunn revealed at the Scot's midweek unveiling City have told Premiership new boys Burnley to up their initial bid for Darel Russell. The experienced midfielder's agent Gary Mellor, however, is urging the Canaries to let Russell seal his dream top flight move.
“I understand Burnley made a bid for Darel that was turned down by Norwich,” he said. “Burnley tried to sign Darel last year and I know Owen Coyle is a big fan of him. Burnley are not the only club chasing Darel as there are several Championship sides keen on him, including Preston.
“Darel has one year to run on his contract and he has enjoyed his time at Norwich, but he would like the chance to play at the highest level.”
Coventry remain in advanced talks with Sammy Clingan but Sky Blues' boss Chris Coleman has again reiterated the Midlanders will not be held to ransom in their transfer market dealings.
Coleman was ready to walk away from the proposed deal for the Northern Irish international last week after baulking at demands made by Clingan's representatives.
“If they turn up and come through the door we have got them,” he said. “We can't tie people up and hold a gun to their heads to make them sign. We have got our targets but we are like a lot of clubs and not signed anyone yet.”