'The ball is in Norwich's court' - Bruce's message to Norwich City over striker pursuit
PUBLISHED: 17:40 30 June 2019 | UPDATED: 17:56 30 June 2019
Sheffield Wednesday boss Steve Bruce says the "ball is in Norwich's court" if they want to sign Jordan Rhodes this summer.
Bruce insists the Canaries are yet to make an offer for the striker, who was part of Norwich's promotion-winning squad last season on loan.
City sporting director Stuart Webber said earlier this summer that they would like to make the deal permanent but said it would be difficult for the club to do.
City have signed Josip Drmic on a free transfer since those comments and it remains to be seen whether the club retains an interest in Rhodes.
Wednesday boss Bruce has admitted that his squad feels unbalanced and it is understood the Owls would like to get the 29-year-old off their wage bill.
"I had a conversation with Norwich which I reiterated to Jordan himself and really the ball is in Norwich's court," Bruce told the Sheffield Star. "They are a Premier League team. We will wait to see if they eventually make a bid. At this particular moment, they haven't so where we are at the moment is we are starting pre-season and Jordan is our player. His loan deal has now run out so he comes back into the fray.
"Like I said when I first came into the club, for Jordan and everybody else, I will pick a team on what I see in front of me.
"He's not a bad one to have back, let's be brutally honest, so we will see.
"But when you look at the strikers we have got compared to wide players and midfield players, we are still a bit unbalanced so in that respect we still have a bit to do."