Norwich City transfer rumours: Marvin Zeegelaar deal is off
PUBLISHED: 20:29 26 January 2017 | UPDATED: 16:07 27 January 2017
©Focus Images Limited www.focus-images.co.uk +447814 482222
Marvin Zeegelaar’s proposed £3m move to Norwich City from Sporting is off, according to Dutch media on Thursday night.
Zeegelaar was heavily touted as a potential replacement for Swansea City bound Martin Olsson, with Portuguese media claiming the left-back had headed to England to finalise personal terms and undergo a medical on a proposed deal that could rise to £4.5m.
But respected Dutch football magazine, Voetbal International, report on Thursday evening Zeegelaar has opted not to join Alex Neil’s Championship squad. The news come on the same day Ajax defender Mitchell Dijks rejected a possible Carrow Road switch after holding talks with the Canaries.
Dijks’ agent told Dutch newspaper, De Telegraaf, no agreement could be reached after holding talks in Norfolk before Dijks returned to training with the Dutch heavyweights on Thursday.
“The trainer (Neil) had a good story, but ultimately Mitchell still has not decided to opt for Norwich City,” said Dijks’ agent. “The feeling should be 100pc and it was not. A club like Norwich doesn’t deserve 90pc.”
Neil has made it clear he is in the market for reinforcements in that area of his squad, with Robbie Brady strongly linked with Burnley. Both Crystal Palace and Sunderland have also been touted as potential suitors, but reports on Wednesday the Eagles had launched a £9m bid, that could eventually rise to £12m, is wide of the mark.
Sam Allardyce has already brought in Jeffrey Schlupp from Leicester City, who can operate anywhere down the left flank, and Palace is reportedly in advanced talks with Sunderland to sign left-sided defender Patrick van Anholt.
Here is The City football web site, menwhile, claimed on Thursday afternoon Brady’s team mate, Ryan Bennett, is being monitored by a number of clubs in the top two divisions after falling out of favour again in recent weeks. The towering centre-back is out of contract in the summer, although Alex Neil confirmed on Friday at his pre-match press call for the visit of Birmingham City there is an option in that original deal, but he is currently behind Timm Klose and Russell Martin in the pecking order.
Neil had been linked with Barnsley centre back Angus MacDonald although the City chief distanced himself from reports he had launched a £1.5m bid after last week’s FA Cup exit at Southampton.