Preston report Stoke to EFL following approach for former Canaries boss Neil
PUBLISHED: 10:28 03 November 2019 | UPDATED: 15:55 03 November 2019
Former Norwich City manager Alex Neil has reiterated his commitment to Preston, after guiding North End to the top of the Championship table amid reported interest in his services from Stoke City.
Neil had been caught in an apparent tug-of-war between Stoke and Preston on Saturday, with media reports suggesting the Scot was close to joining the struggling Potters.
However, North End issued a statement reiterating Neil's "commitment to the football club" on Saturday, in the wake of that speculation, which was followed by a 1-0 win at Chartlon on Sunday lunchtime.
The 38-year-old former Canaries boss was wanted by West Brom during the summer, prompting Preston to hand him a new three-year deal.
Stoke - who are bottom of the table, having been relegated from the Premier League in 2018 - sacked Nathan Jones on Friday and Neil was top of their list.
But Preston had said in an earlier statement on Saturday that "there are now no circumstances under which Stoke would be given permission to speak" to the Scot and that they had reported the Potters to the EFL for an illegal approach.
After yesterday's game Neil told the Lancashire Evening Post: "I've had a lot of support working with Peter (Ridsdale, former chairman and current advisor) and the owner and the structure we've got is ideal for me.
"There's no politics, it's a straight line, me, Peter and the owner. That's it.
"I put a statement out last night. I am the manager of Preston North End. A lot of it, for me, was just speculation anyway so there's not much really to talk about.
"It doesn't really mean that much to me. My sole focus is just trying to win games. You can easily go from a very good position to a very bad position in management.
"It's important that you keep a level head, cracking on with the job."