‘I’m literally in the same boat as Todd’ - Adshead hoping Dutch loan route helps his City first-team prospects
- Credit: Archant
Todd Cantwell’s pathway into the Norwich City first-team was a road less travelled - but Dan Adshead is keen to follow the same route.
The 19-year-old is currently on loan at Dutch second division side SC Telstar - and he can see parallels in his journey and the one that saw Cantwell burst onto the scene at Carrow Road.
Adshead joined City from Rochdale in 2019 and underwent a year of education in the club’s academy - similar to the one that Akin Famewo received before being provided with a chance to go out on loan.
The aim for Adshead is clear - impress in Holland and attempt to break into Daniel Farke’s first-team squad.
“You say about the pathway, you just have to look at all the players that are coming through and that have come through. Max, Jamal and Ben have obviously got great moves, Todd as well.
You may also want to watch:
“I feel like I’m in exactly the same situation as Todd. He came out here for a year as well and now just look at Todd. He’s shown that it can be done. I just have to look at what he has done and replicate it.”
Cantwell spent half a season on loan at Eerste Divisie club Fortuna Sittard in 2018 - playing 10 games and scoring twice as the Dutch club claimed promotion to the top flight.
- 1 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 2 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 4 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 5 'As good as I've seen him!' - City fans laud Cantwell performance
- 6 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 7 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 8 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 9 'We need to pull our weight' - City skipper relieved to end his goal drought
- 10 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
Adshead feels as though his situation is similar - with the Dereham-born academy graduate proving that success on loan can result in a fruitful career with the Canaries.
“I’m literally in the same boat as Todd. If I look forward to when I’m however old Todd is, hopefully I can be in the same position. He’s proved it works. I know I’m not coming here for the sake of coming here knowing there is no next step with Norwich because Todd has shown that there is.
“I know with my ability that there is a pathway as well. He’s proved it all. We’ve not spoken specifically about this move but when I’m training with the first-team and I speak to him and he’s a good guy.”
Speculation linking Cantwell with a move away persists - with Leeds United director of football Victor Orta admitting he is interesting the Premier League side. Any suitors for the 22-year-old have until 5pm on Friday to complete a transfer for him before the window shuts.