AFC Wanderers make it two from two

On a glorious sunny morning, Norwich Busmen were presented with the final Sporting Award from last season before their home clash with Fiveways at Sloughbottom.

In an even first half, the visitors took the lead and held on to it until Nicky May produced the equaliser for the home side. AFC Wanderers made it two from two as they beat Bayer FC 3-0 and Marlborough put last week’s setback behind them as they won 5-0 at The Grove. A single goal was enough for Acle Rangers to make a winning start against Sprowston Rovers, whilst the game between Hellesdon Athletic and Aylsham Sunday provided five goals and a point apiece.

A keenly contested game between Castlegate and DCS Rapid ended all square at 3-3. Brett Kingsbury, John Davis and Pat Cass scored for DCS. Two penalties from Gary Bland, two goals for Jordan Scotter and further strikes by Nath Joy and Pete Williams gave Windmill Wanderers a 6-2 home win over North Walsham. Stand in keeper Aidy McCrum gave away then saved an early penalty. Hockering and Vale Longo took a point each in a 1-1 draw, whilst the game between Eaton FC and Norman Wanderers was goalless. Christopher Moore, Thomas Blanch and Marcus McInerney all scored for Earlham United as they kept up their winning start to the season in 1B, beating Spixworth 3-0, whilst Acle Rangers Reserves kept up their good start winning 3-1 at Moles Rest. Rose Tavern beat Prince of Denmark by the odd goal of seven and Heartsease grabbed a point in a 2-2 draw at Sprowston Wanderers. Eight goals were scored in the game between St Faiths and Unicorns giving them a point each. Grant Sleight (2), Dale Watkins and Matt Egleton scored for St Faiths who led twice before needing a late equaliser.

In 2A, Norman Wanderers Reserves and Riverside Rovers are the early pacesetters. Normans were 5-1 winners at Acle Wanderers, whilst Rovers won 7-1 at Stoke for whom Grant Bradfield scored. Dancing Farmers led 1-0 at half-time thanks to a Stephen Bramble goal against The Cottage but a late goal for the visitors grabbed them a point. Mad Moose were 4-2 winners at Constable Crusaders, whilst The Stores threw away a three goal lead as they went down 5-4 at home to Deopham. Marc Howard (3) and Sam Burgess scored for The Stores, whilst Stephen Parry (2), Jimmy McCloy (2), and Lewis McKerrell scored for Deopham. Green Man made the long trip to New Buckenham and came back with a point after a 1-1 draw.

In 2B, Bell Inn continued their high scoring start to the season. Joseph Pattison and Ian Babb both grabbed hat tricks and Simon Freemantle added a seventh as they beat Unicorns Reserves. For the second week running, Poringland Wanderers conceded an early goal but came back to win 2-1, this time against Sloughbottom Revolution and there was an exciting game at Britannia Barracks where One Love United raced into a three goal lead thanks to goals by Ronaldo Balde (2) and Cameron Mullet only for SDC United to storm back and score four times through Danny Mcilwrath (3) and Clive Riches. Only a late Osiris Gomes strike saved a point for the home side. Briston Wanderers grabbed their first points of the season with a 6-1 win at home to Hillside, whilst DEF FC went goal crazy in their first game of the season, scoring twelve without reply at Salhouse Rovers.

In 3A, Brooke continued their good start to the season as they beat Norman Wanderers A 8-1, whilst Sporting Longdale put on a good performance in scoring ten times against Phoenix Felthorpe. Bungay Town were 5-1 winners at Temple Bar whilst Temples Property had to come from one down to beat Eaton Young Boys 3-1.

In 3B, Schoolhouse have started the season well and were 5-1 winners over Earlham Colney, whilst Chapelfield Rovers and Angel Gardens shared eight goals at the Hewett School. Daniel Childerhouse scored five times as Windmill Wanderers began their season with a 6-0 win over Windmill Elite, Aaron Nixon scored the other, and Salhouse Res scored three, (James Smith 2, and Ryan Blyth), without reply at Hainford Howitzers. Despite a good performance and a Stephen White goal, Hethersett Athletic still went down 2-1 at Taverham United.

Most Read

New club CNSOBU Sunday made it two wins from two starts as they beat Hockering Reserves 2-1, and Micawbers got their first points on the board after a 6-1 win over The Stores Reserves. Sporting Longdale Reserves found themselves 1-0 up at half-time thanks to a Matt Adams goal but Brooke FC Reserves fought back in the second half to lead 2-1. Sporting Longdale finally levelled through a Brad Warr corner. Both sides had chances to take all three points but neither were able to convert any of them.

In 4B, the game between Hethersett Reserves and Freemasons ended in a 2-2 draw with Alex Kemsley and Lee Houghton scoring for Freemasons, as did the Mettingham, Red Lion game.