Third cap for City defender as England U21s win in Albania
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Norwich City defender Ben Godfrey won his third England U21 cap as the Young Lions won in Albania this evening to remain on track for European Championship qualification.
Godfrey played the full 90 minutes in central defence, alongside Marc Guehi of Chelsea, as Aidy Boothroyd's team won 3-0 in Shkoder.
Canaries colleague Max Aarons was left on the bench though, as another Chelsea prospect, Reece James, was preferred at right-back - having played in the Champions League recently, scoring against Ajax.
Goals from Manchester City starlet Phil Foden and Chelsea midfielder Conor Gallagher in the first half were enough to earn the win and keep England top of Group Three with four wins from four, level on points with Austria but having played a game less - with Arsenal forward Reiss Nelson adding a late third.
Aarons could well get the chance to win his fifth cap on Tuesday when the Young Lions travel to Holland for a friendly (5.30pm UK time), a match which is being shown live on BT Sport.
Godfrey - who had spoken about his development ahead of the game - had missed the last two matches for the U21s as he needed hernia surgery but reclaimed his place immediately, having started every Premier League game for City so far this season.
You may also want to watch:
It was Everton midfielder Tom Davies wearing the captain's armband on this occasion though, despite Godfrey previously captaining the side.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 4 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 7 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 10 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top