‘Jordan was a link player’ - Neil downplays comparisons between Hugill and new striker Riis
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
New Preston North End stirker Emil Riis has been likened to Norwich City striker Jordan Hugill by some Lilywhites supporters, but Alex Neil says they are two completely different forwards.
The Norwegian striker completed his reported £1.2million move to Deepdale from Randers FC during the recent transfer window and has caught the eye with his performances in the early part of the season.
Riis has been compared to Hugill, who left Preston to join West Ham United for a fee of around £10m in 2018. The 28-year-old joined City in the summer and has scored one league goal for the club.
Neil is grateful to have worked with Hugill, but doesn’t see the similarities between the two players.
“I think they are totally different players,” City’s former boss told the Lancashire Post.
You may also want to watch:
“Jordan was a link player, you played the ball up to him and get players around him.
“The big fella (Riis) is a link but what he can also do is turn and blow people away in terms of his pace.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Can City extend their lead at the top of the table with victory over Luton Town?
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Arsenal linked with Canaries playmaker
- 3 Farke on young blood and Hatters at boiling point
- 4 Luton Town v Norwich City: Everything you need to know
- 5 PRESSER LIVE: Luton Town v Norwich City
- 6 FARKE: Full roll call on City's injured stars
- 7 Skipp is making his mark at City
- 8 Limited number of tickets left for fans ahead of Wednesday and Forest matches
- 9 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 10 Norwich City loan watch: Sinani on target and Morris scores for MK Dons in midweek fixtures
“In my opinion Emil is very different to Jordan, a player who did ever so well for us.”