‘Jordan was a link player’ - Neil downplays comparisons between Hugill and new striker Riis
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
New Preston North End stirker Emil Riis has been likened to Norwich City striker Jordan Hugill by some Lilywhites supporters, but Alex Neil says they are two completely different forwards.
The Norwegian striker completed his reported £1.2million move to Deepdale from Randers FC during the recent transfer window and has caught the eye with his performances in the early part of the season.
Riis has been compared to Hugill, who left Preston to join West Ham United for a fee of around £10m in 2018. The 28-year-old joined City in the summer and has scored one league goal for the club.
Neil is grateful to have worked with Hugill, but doesn’t see the similarities between the two players.
“I think they are totally different players,” City’s former boss told the Lancashire Post.
You may also want to watch:
“Jordan was a link player, you played the ball up to him and get players around him.
“The big fella (Riis) is a link but what he can also do is turn and blow people away in terms of his pace.
- 1 'I wanted to bring Norwich back' - Emi reveals why he stayed at City
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: City v Bournemouth - Emi fit, Rupp out for the season
- 3 Frankfurt speculation just the start of uncertain period for City boss
- 4 Farke's personal message to City fans
- 5 Iwan Roberts: My one regret over Canaries' 2004 promotion
- 6 City boss has found his job 'even harder' than title-winning season
- 7 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 8 Former City coach leaves England U21 post
- 9 'We want to correct what happened' - City ace on top-flight aims
- 10 'Bring it on', says Bournemouth boss
“In my opinion Emil is very different to Jordan, a player who did ever so well for us.”