Pritchard returns to action by playing a half for City Under-23s

Alex Pritchard has returned to action for the Canaries, at long last. Picture: Liam McAvoy/Focus Ima

Alex Pritchard has returned to action for the Canaries, at long last. Picture: Liam McAvoy/Focus Images Ltd - Credit: Liam McAvoy/Focus Images Limited

Norwich City midfielder Alex Pritchard is on the comeback trail after returning to action for the club’s Under-23 side.

Playing for the first time since picking up an ankle injury in pre-season, the 24-year-old got 45 minutes under his belt as the young Canaries lost 4-2 to their Wolves counterparts at AFC Telford’s New Bucks Head Stadium.

Pritchard eased himself back into action but almost made his presence felt before being replaced by Louis Ramsay at half-time when he set up a good chance for striker Pierre Fonkeu with a pin-point cross.

Having played competitive football for the time since picking up his injury in a friendly at Cambridge United in July Pritchard will now be looking to step up his comeback, with another Under-23s outing at home to Aston Villa on Sunday a possibility.

If he came through that one with no problems then the diminutive midfielder would certainly have his eyes on a place in the first team squad for the trip to Cardff the following Friday.

You may also want to watch:

The Premier League Two encounter in the Midlands saw the Canaries twice fight back from two goals down to make a game of it.

The hosts got off to a flying start when Sherwin Seedorf steered the ball in after just two minutes and made it 2-0 12 minutes later as Christian Herc converted a cross.

Most Read

City got back into it just before the half-hour mark, Fonkeu finding the target after a cross from Glenn Middleton, only for Wolves to restore their two-goal advantage 14 minutes into the second half when Ben Goodliffe headed home from a corner.

But the Canaries, who also had club captain Russell Martin in their line-up, were far from finished.

Adam Phillips converted a penalty seven minutes later following a foul on Tristan Abrahams to reduce the arrears again and City were in the game until Aaron Collins slotted the ball past Aston Oxborough to complete the scoring in the 89th minute.

City: Oxborough, Aarons, Odusina, Martin, Kamal, Phillips (c), Aransibia, Fonkeu, Pritchard, Middleton, Abrahams, Subs: ambu, Dickerson (gk), Ramsay, Higgs, Wallis.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus