Ameobi linked with Stoke
David Cuffley Norwich City manager Glenn Roeder has until 5pm today to add any further loan signings to his squad for the remaining six Championship games.Reports in the North East suggest Newcastle's Shola Ameobi remains a target for the City boss, but whether he would take another striker on loan after signing Dutch forward Maceo Rigters last week remains to be seen.
Norwich City manager Glenn Roeder has until 5pm today to add any further loan signings to his squad for the remaining six Championship games.
Reports in the North East suggested Newcastle's Shola Ameobi was a target for the City boss, but that move looked highly unlikely today with the striker the subject of talks over a loan move to Stoke.
Promotion-chasing Stoke are said to be prepared to pay a six-figure loan fee to land Ameobi.
You may also want to watch:
The two clubs were locked in deadline day talks over an emergency loan deal which would see Ameobi spend the rest of the season at the Britannia Stadium.
Whether Roeder would take another striker on loan after signing Dutch forward Maceo Rigters last week remains to be seen.
- 1 No West Ham contact for Aarons; Drmic wage hike unlikely
- 2 City transfer rumours: West Ham show interest in £30m rated Aarons
- 3 Former City boss to leave post at the end of the season
- 4 PRESSER LIVE: QPR v City - Bullish Farke on Aarons' Everton link; no new injuries
- 5 Transfer rumours: Everton 'step up interest' in City star
- 6 City hot-shot out to prove point in Premier League, claims ex-Canary
- 7 Webber will continue to be 'brutally honest' at City
- 8 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 9 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 10 Canaries legend thinks promotion party was fully deserved
Rigters made a late appearance in Saturday's 5-1 victory over Colchester, while the other loan striker on the bench, Ched Evans, did not even get on to the field.
Ameobi, meanwhile, has been named in the Newcastle squad for tonight's reserve team match against Manchester United at Northwich Victoria.
Ameobi, 26, netted in last week's 2-2 reserve draw at Bolton Wanderers and manager Kevin Keegan has urged him to force his way back into his plans after starting the first game after Keegan's return back in January.
Roeder has made no secret of his admiration for Ameobi, his former player at St James' Park, who has endured a miserable 18 months since his last first-team goal for United. Plymouth and Ipswich are also said to have shown an interest - but Stoke appear to have moved into the box seat.