Anglian Combination Division One

Match reports.


Following last week's defeat at Long Stratton, Bungay got their first point back in senior football on Tuesday, although they needed a goal three minutes from time to salvage a draw.

It was no more than they deserved for a good second half showing in a match played at a lively pace throughout. The visitors had the better first half chances and Bungay were fortunate to go in only one down as former player Ed Collins gave the defence plenty to think about. But it was the home side who applied most of the second half pressure and finally produced a fair result to the match. Manager Richard Daniels will be concerned about the lack of goal opportunities the side has created in the two games to date.

There was plenty of good one touch football from both sides early on, though neither keeper was seriously troubled. However, Jimmy Bligh was eventually called on to make a diving save to keep out a direct free-kick and then the home side were lucky not to go a goal down when Collins met a pinpoint right wing cross with a firm header that thundered against the bar with Bligh beaten.

You may also want to watch:

The visitors went close again when a slick move down the left brought an opening but a forward steered his shot wide of the far post with the goal gaping.

Dan Lowe put in one fine run for Bungay from defence and fired a low effort wide after receiving a return pass from Tom Amis. But four minutes from half-time Sole Bay took the lead as Collins received the ball just outside the area and worked an opening and fired a low drive just inside the post.

Most Read

The Black Dogs started the second half well and a drive from Paul Hunter just cleared the bar. Collins fired hurriedly wide when he had another chance for the visitors, but Bungay were having the better of things and went close when Allan Kennedy crossed from the left and Amis hit a first time volley which just cleared the bar.

Bungay's equaliser came out of the blue with three minutes left as MacFarlane, 25 yards out, struck a drive which found the bottom corner off the woodwork with the Sole Bay keeper stranded.

Bungay Reserves drew 3-3 away to Norwich CEYMS Reserves after being 2-0 down (goals from Ash Ling, Justin Doughty and Danny Wilby), to follow up their goalless draw with Long Stratton Reserves the previous week.

Paul Cunningham


WELLS Town's early pre-season confidence was missing from this first league fixture against promoted Horsford United. As early as the eighth minute the visitors were ahead when a long ball from the keeper found McKinney who chipped Fulford to break the deadlock. After 15 minutes the visitors broke the offside trap allowing Vander Holven to score from an acute angle, on the half hour Horsford added a third when a deflected shot from Buck gave Fulford no chance.

Wells looked more settled in the second period, Pentney forced a good save from Wilkes. As Wells were trying to reduce the arrears, on 80 minutes a good cross from Grocott eluded Pentney with the goal at his mercy.


When you're down, football has a tendency to kick you in the teeth and this was certainly the case on Tuesday night when Town lost to a late strike from St Andrews. After the previous week's debacle, Town welcomed backed Hilly and Rambo to the fold.The first opening came St Andrews' way. With the Town defence being dragged to the right, this created an opening on the left. The ball was played there to an on rushing Saints player who hit the crossbar from 16 yards. From the award of a dubious free kick, Saints hit the frame of the goal for the second time. This acted as a wake up call, with Town taking relative control for the last 10 minutes of the half. From a Priest corner on the left, Steward jumped majestically but unfortunately for Town, he hit the crossbar. From another Priest corner, it was the turn of Catchpole to jump well, only to be thwarted by the Saints keeper. The second half began in much the same light, with chances at a premium. Town's best play was coming down the right, with Ramsbottom making a number of surging runs. Unfortunately Town got caught on the break. A high ball was floated into the box; Steward won two headers, only for the second one to fall straight to a Saints player who volleyed first time into the roof of the net past an unsighted Hodges. This came with just 11 minutes to go, so Town pushed for an equaliser with Stanard being moved up front. The last chance of the game fell to Catchpole. After a great run and cross from substitute Brown, Catcphole rose well but was unable to keep his under on target. The final whistle went and a dejected Town trudged off.

MoM: Simon Cracknell, who played some lovely football and defended well.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus