Anglian Combination round-up

Jamie Hunton scored the only goal to give Cromer Town the three points away to neighbours Sheringham and stay top. Loddon United are close behind, beating Blofield United 2-0, with goals from Chris Hancock and Samuel Oliver.

Jamie Hunton scored the only goal to give Cromer Town the three points away to neighbours Sheringham and stay top.

Loddon United are close behind, beating Blofield United 2-0, with goals from Chris Hancock and Samuel Oliver. Paul Franklin scored for Hempnall but they lost 2-1 to Dersingham Rovers, Cameron Copeland getting both goals. North Walsham Town continue their climb with a 2-0 win over Beccles Town, scorers Dale Wilton and Adam Ramsbottom. An own goal for Sprowston Athletic and one from Ben Morgan for Acle United earned them a 1-1 draw. AFC Norwich celebrated their first win under their new name, 4-0 away to Hindringham, with goals from Stephen Davis (2), Ben Gowing, and Steven Whatmore. In Division 1 Bungay Town are top, beating Attleborough Town away 2-1, scorers Lee Henwood, Neil Renaut and David Greenwood for the home team. Goals from Darren Nichols (2), Alan Rudder and Mark Bailes gave Horsford United a 4-1 win over Mattishall, Daniel Connelly got their goal. Wymondham Town lost 2-1 to Corton scorers Ritchi High, Rory French and James Pipe for Town. Gayton United had an unhappy trip to Kirkley & Pakefield Res losing 11-0, with goals from Liam Harvey-Cooper (5), James Bemment (2), Darren Glynn (2), Djamel Kareche and an own goal. Scole United beat Caister 2-1, scorers Simon Bartram, James Edwards and Daniel Heller for the visitors. Alex Ingham, Matthew Pilgrim and Alex Taylor scored for St Andrews to earn a 3-1 win over Wells Town, their scorer was Matthew Somerton. Stalham Town beat Long Stratton 2-1, with goals from Leigh Howard, Steven Ellis (pen) and James Barnes replying. In the Norfolk Junior Cup Replays Poringland overcame West Lynn 3-0 but Thorpe Rovers and Holt United Res battled to a 3-3 draw with Thorpe winning 5-4 on penalties.

Last Saturday at the CEYMS ground, the Sprowston Wanderers and CEYMS players, from both first and reserve teams gathered with the officials before their matches as a mark of respect for Shaun Bunn and, along with many of Shaun's family, observed a minutes applause, that was repeated across our league and also in many other matches across the county. Our thoughts and prayers are with Shaun's family at this very difficult time. Sadly Brian Gadd died this week, he has been a loyal servant to this League over the years, as a referee and assessor, he will be sadly missed.


You may also want to watch:


ACLE made the short journey to Blue Boar Lane for a league game against the hosts who included several ex-United players in their line-up. The visitors started the game at a good pace taking the game to their hosts but United were dealt a cruel blow after six minutes when from the hosts first foray into the Acle half Read squared a ball into the penalty area where Foreman in an effort to clear his lines could only help the ball into the net deflected out of the reach of his brother in Acle's goal. The home side then looked to be holding on for long periods against the attacking flair of the visitors as it became one-way football played towards the Sprowston goal. Sprowston went off the boil but for all their possession and attacking Acle couldn't find the killer touch their approach play deserved. Acle continued to dominate the game and created numerous chances but an excellent defensive display kept them at bay as the home defence stood firm. Acle equalised after 65 minutes when a fine run by Ben Morgan went past Sell and Jeffries before leaving Matthews flat-footed and picking his spot with a delicate lob that fooled Clarke in the home goal. Pleasing point that manager Ward noted was the performance given by debutant Faulks at the centre of the Acle defence ably supported by the confident Daniel Foreman and full backs Peter Nobbs and Ricky Hodds but United will count this game as two points that have slipped away instead of one gained.

Most Read


Beccles Town travelled to North Walsham with a comparatively lightweight side that did not include regulars Barham, Payne, Fiske and Hurren, who were absent for a variety of reasons. Also with Pike and Sean Payne still serving suspensions, it was always going to be difficult for the visitors to Greens Road. Manager Mick Broxup had to include himself as a sub, along with young Alex Jeffreys, and he must surely have asked the question, why was this necessary so far into the season?

North Walsham opened brightly and the new central defensive pairing of Lees and Wigg were soon under pressure from the lively home attack. Beccles replied with a good inter-passing move involving Martin, McMorran and Woods, which ended with a McMorran shot that cleared the bar. Play was switching quite rapidly from one end to the other, with both sides trying desperately for an opening. Cable in the Beccles goal was forced into a good save, which was followed almost immediately by a Beccles header just wide at the other end from a Waterman cross.

In the 40th minute, North Walsham opened the scoring with a stroke of luck when the unfortunate Lees turned a low cross into his own net. The home side had a chance to increase the score before the break, but Landamore shot well wide from a good position. Half-time 1-0.

Early in the second half, Beccles had a great chance to equalise, but having jinked past two home defenders, the usually reliable striker shot straight into the home keeper's arms. North Walsham then put the game out of reach when Ramsbottom scored with a firm header from a free-kick after 67 minutes. North Walsham were now in control of the game and almost made it 3-0 with a good effort from Miller that was just wide. Beccles did have a minor revival and went close to pulling one back when Woods hit the post from close in, and Martin had another shot well saved by Kellet in the home goal, but all to no avail. So the game ended with a 2-0 win for North Walsham.


Dersingham travelled to Hempnall in what we regard as one of the toughest away games of the season as proved to be the case. Rovers kept the same starting XI that did so well at Blofield. The game was played at a frantic pace as Hempnall bombarded the Rovers' defence with long balls all game, but D Glasscock, L Clarke, G English and M Wymer were more than a match for the physical Hempnall forwards, with N Pearman and B Overton controlling the midfield. C Copeland and T Daniels causing the Hempnall fullbacks trouble. It was Rovers who went into the break 2-0 up, C Copeland getting both, his first after a great one-two with the hard running Moreira with a fine low finish, and the second P English slid him through to round the keeper. The second half was much the same but Hempnall did not seem to have a plan B and there long ball was being dealt with easily. Rovers should have gone 4-0 up when the English brothers missed easy chances. Rovers then brought on Seal, Toll and Burrel who slotted in well and worked their socks off. Hempnall pulled a goal back in the 95th minute and then had one more chance and the excellent A Daniels palmed it away.


In Jim Blandford's first match in charge, he was handed a massive task without a number of players through injury, Jason Chilvers, Craig East, Tristan Defew, Darren Mattless, Darryl Parsley and Marcus Oliver all missing, and Jason West playing through a sickness bug, which forced him off at half-time.

The starting 11 included new signing from Holt, Dan Peczkowski - many thanks to Holt for their cooperation - starting down the left, with Thomas East partnering Scott Gray in attack, skipper West playing alongside Coslett in midfield. Hindringham settled into their stride quickly, getting the ball down, but over playing in certain positions, when pulling the trigger would of been a better option. Dan was causing problems down the left, with his pace, a couple of half-chances were created, for East and Gray, but not converted.

Hindringham were defending well until a mistake which gifted Norwich an undeserved lead. Hindringham lost Jason West at half-time, replaced by Mark Neal. But sloppy defending allowed Norwich AFC to score three further goals to round off a 4-0 victory.

Next week Attleborough away in the Senior Cup. Meet Bistro 12.15, 2.30 ko.


Blofield started brightly, but an early cross from Peter Williams went begging. A corner on the left from Ross was cleared back to him, but his second delivery found no Blofield colleague. Around six minutes Sizz was injured in challenging Majoribanks on the edge of the Blofield box and was unable to continue. The management choose the only realistic option of moving Luke to the centre of defence and bringing Paul Ottolangui into his usual right back spot. This change disrupted the defence which then came under pressure, conceding successive corners and too many free-kicks. One such free-kick from the Loddon left struck the bar and was cleared off the goalline. Around the half-hour mark the Beavers took the game to Loddon more - Ricky shot over from another Ross/Danny move, a Ross shot was deflected for a corner, and Luke shot over the bar. Loddon's Richard Way received lengthy treatment but continued. Just before half-time Ross wriggled free in the Loddon penalty area following a Hartie throw-in but his firm shot was parried into the air by the keeper; then Ricky volleyed the dropping ball over the bar. Five minutes of injury time - lucky to be level at half-time. Seven minutes into the second half Deano was booked for a rash challenge, a result of his frustration? Fortunately he kept his discipline for the remainder of the game. Cooper, making his first appearance for several months, made a fine save from Alex Brown, then the same player shot over. Loddon brought on G Summons after about 15 minutes. Halfway through the second half the giant defender Tom Bayliss saw his fierce shot excellently tipped over by Coops, who was having a confident game. Then a strong appeal for handball in the Loddon area was ignored by the referee. Two thirds into the half, Blofield brought on Dan Wynne for his first team debut, Ricky Knell came off. Dan's height and energy did add presence upfront, but linking up with his fellow forwards would have been more effective. Loddon's wayward shooting continued until another free-kick was conceded. This time the delivery was good and Summons headed in. Ross needed treatment but continued as Blofield pressed. However the next goal fell to Loddon as Oliver found himself free on the left and drove in from a narrow angle. Coops (possibly expecting a cross?) got down quickly but the ball cannoned off him into the near-post net. Five minutes of injury time again, but game over!


Carey was unavailable for Cromer so Bugdale went to left back. Tom Davies made his first start, on the left wing, and Tom Parker returned to the side for the absent Matthew Eves, writes Richard Cox.

The home side started the brighter of the two sides and had a good chance early in the game. The ball came into the Cromer box from the left. It wasn't cleared away and ran to Karl Fox toe-poked the ball towards goal but Osborne tipped the ball on to the post. The Crabs weathered the early pressure and began to create chances of their own. Bradshaw's scuffed shot was cleared away. Parker then ran down the right and crossed to Jamie Hunton at the near post but his diving header was saved. Minutes later Cromer did take the lead. Quick, one touch passing on the left helped create space in the Sheringham defence and Horton played the ball through to Hunton, who had timed his run perfectly. Hunton then had just Palmer to beat and he blasted past the Sheringham keeper. Just after half an hour Cromer were close to getting a second when Liam Davies cut in from the right and put a left-foot cross to Simon Durrant at the back post, but it was fractionally too far ahead of the Cromer striker. The nature of the play in the second half didn't allow either side the opportunity to get many efforts on goal, with a lot of the play in the middle third. Sheringham again started the half well but couldn't break through the solid Cromer defence. The Crabs had a couple of opportunities to secure the points but Horton's scuffed shot was easily saved and Durrant blasted over when he was through one on one.

The home side's best chances came in time added on. Osborne fumbled a cross and it fell to Maxey but Osborne reacted quickly to get in the way of the shot and the ball went out for a corner. This was Sheringham's last chance to grab a point. The ball went to Olly King at the back post and his header seemed to be heading for the top corner but Osborne was able to get across and push the ball away.



BUNGAY moved a point clear at the top of the table as they recorded their fourth straight league win at Attleborough on Saturday.

The 2-1 victory was their third in succession away from home and came thanks to a Lee Henwood first half penalty and a fine header from Neil Renaut. But once again the Black Dogs tested the nerves of their supporters as they let the home side back into the game with a sloppy goal and had to do some desperate defending in the last 15 minutes to keep ahead. Manager Richard Daniels praised the side's display over 70 minutes and said they deserved the points, though the final 20 minutes were poor and they conceded a soft goal. There was again a solid performance from the midfield trio of Paul Hunter, Renaut and Luke Field. Field got in an early effort for Bungay that was just wide and at the other end Tom Daniels was in position to clear his lines in an Attleborough attack. A fine strike by Ed Collins brought an equally fine reflex save from the home keeper.

Bungay weathered a spell of pressure to take a 23rd minute lead as Collins was clearly brought down in the area and Henwood stroked the spot kick low to the keeper's right. A mistake by Craig Hunting in an otherwise solid display gave the home side an opening in the 43rd minute but Mark Harvey was on hand to clear the danger. Jimmy Bligh dived to turn away a well struck effort for a corner, and soon after tipped a free-kick over the bar. At the other end Collins chested down a cross into Field's path but he blazed the chance over.

For the first five minutes of the second half Bungay dominated and created several chances.

The second goal always looked likely and it came with 20 minutes left as Danny Wilby's free-kick found Renaut and his header found the top corner of the net. But almost immediately the home side got back into the game as a complete mix-up in defence gave Dave Greenwood the chance of a simple goal. It signalled an onslaught from Attleborough and Bligh did well to divert an angled shot away with his legs and when a forward took the ball round him soon after Hunter raced back to clear the effort off the line.The home side were reduced to 10 men with five minutes left as Ollie Ramsbottom was sent off for a second bookable offence, and Bungay saw out eight minutes of added time fairly comfortably.


Meldrew was forced into making three changes for the visit of table-toppers Mattishall. Chris Owen, Scotty and Van Hooven's unavailability meaning a recall for Bailes, harshly stripped of the captaincy, Dawdry and a debut for reserve-team striker Reidy. Mattishall signalled their intentions early on, playing direct balls from back to front but 10 minutes in and from our first real attack we took the lead when Nico was left all alone six yards out to nod home Bailes' corner-kick. Surprisingly our opponents failed to learn from this and five minutes later the same players combined to double the lead, Nico looping a header over the keeper from Bailes' long throw. Mattishall continued to throw long balls forward at every opportunity but Irish Pete, Godders, Barks and Dicko were equal to the task and on the one occasion Andy was called upon he dealt comfortably with Starling's well struck free-kick. We maintained our threat on the break however, and with only seconds of the first half remaining extended our lead when Leon weaved past two and clipped a delicious cross to the far post for Rodders to ghost past his marker and head home. We knew Mattishall wouldn't roll over and so it proved within five minutes of the restart when they grabbed a lifeline, Connelly firing in from close range after we failed to clear. Almost immediately from the restart we should have restored our three goal cushion when Rodders drove into the area and teased a clumsy challenge out of the retreating Baldry. Nico stepped up to claim his hat-trick from the spot but unfortunately their keeper read his mind producing a fine save low to his left, and for the next half hour it was all hands to the pump as we came under increasing pressure from a side sensing an unlikely comeback. With gaps beginning to open up Mattishall were starting to create good chances, King firing over from close range, Hewitt's deep free-kick just evading four on-rushing attackers at the far post, and closest of all Connelly's drive striking the woodwork. We dug in though and with ten minutes remaining got the goal we needed to kill the game off, Bailes latching on to sub Pemberton's flick-on and dinking a delicate lob over the advancing keeper.


STRATTON slipped to defeat against Stalham after a controversial penalty award, a bitter pill to swallow for the Reds who had more than the lion's share of possession throughout.

For the second successive week Stratton let an early goal in, a bouncing ball in the penalty area was headed over Wayne Manser into the net in the sixth minute.

The response was good from Stratton and 11 minutes later they were level when David Robinson sliced a shot towards goal and James Barnes fired home for his seventh goal of the season. Stratton held the upper hand for the rest of the half, closest they came was when Shaun Moss put the ball in the net - but the goal was disallowed for a foul in the build-up.

The second half still saw Stratton pressing Stalham back, David Storey heading just over in the 49th minute.As the half wore on it appeared Stratton might have to settle for a point when disaster struck, Stalham were awarded a penalty totally against the run of play and netted it.

A final clear-cut chance never came Stratton's way despite some good work from Barnes and Robinson.


The Seasiders poor start to the season continued on Saturday at Thorpe Recreation Ground as they searched for their first three points of the season. Armiger saved any blushes for the visitors with several first class saves as the Saints looked as though they would steam roll into a goal feast. Wells' best chance of the half saw Walker save a good Grocott shot, with Griffin looking to slot home the rebound, the ball skimming wide of the target.

Ingham broke the deadlock on 34 minutes when he placed a good effort wide of the visitors keeper. Minutes later Pennell added a second to leave the Saints in the driving seat.

Wells reshaped and looked a better side in the second period, Somerton reduced the arrears with a well placed shot that flew passed Walker. Saints cleared a visitors' attack at the expense of a Wells corner, Cawston just failing to connect at the far post, Walker then held the ball on his line as Wells thought they had equalised, Saints killed off the contest on 90 minutes when Taylor found space to slot home passed Armiger.

WYMONDHAM entertained Corton on Saturday with effectively a bare 11. Town welcomed back Jame Pipe to the club. He put in a hardworking performance which was capped off by a good goal. The game started off in an even manner with both teams looking to get the ball forward quickly. The first chance of the game fell to Corton. A corner game and the Corton player rose well but headed straight at home keeper Hodges. In response to this Town created some good chances, the best falling to midfielder Scadden. Priest put in a good corner and Scadden made a great connection but was unable to direct it goal bound.

Just before half-time Town conceded a soft goal. A mis-hit cross floated in over the head of home keeper Hodges. He was only able to flick it into the top of the goal. At the turnaround Town started to apply some good pressure and created a number of good chances. Jimmy McCloy was linking up well with James Pipe and a goal always looked possible. It duly came, with McCloy laying the ball off to Pipe who slotted home with aplomb.

With only 15 minutes to go, a point looked safe. Unfortunately Town conceded with just five minutes to go - a cross game in which eluded both Hill and Hodges. The Corton forward headed goalbound. Unfortunately for Town, Hodges partially cleared it but it rebounded in off the post. Despite this Town still pressed and game close to scoring through a long range Ramsbottom volley.



This was an excellent result against opponents who had gained some good wins in their opening games. Hellesdon were without Andy Glister and Simon Pritchard, as well as Ryan Woods who injured his knee playing Sunday football, so they had to rely on a 12-man squad with Robert Reeve as sub.

A goal by Robert Bunn separated the sides at the interval after an evenly fought first half in which Wortwell relied on the long ball to test the Hellesdon defence. Clear chances were few but Lloyd Quinton, Danny Shafiyan and Jonathan Fox all had good goal attempts before Bunn broke the deadlock just before half time, finishing well after collecting a through ball from Andrew Grady.

Within five minutes of the second half it was 2-0 when Quinton fed Bunn along the right and the striker outwitted his marker to home in on goal and deliver another good finish. Hellesdon then had a piece of luck when a Wortwell free kick was glanced beyond Mark Gosling, but the ball came back off a post into the keeper's hands.

After an hour Hellesdon introduced Reeve and he was almost immediately involved in the build up to the third goal as Bunn completed his hat trick following some great work by Fox to set up the chance. Hellesdon were now stamping their authority on the game in midfield and playing some fine football in the process and it was inevitable that further goals would follow. On 83 minutes Reeve slotted home after the Wortwell defence had been opened up by a good ball from Quinton and five minutes later Bunn was on the scoresheet again, heading home Jamie Hall's cross from the left to make it 5-0. The final goal came close to the final whistle when Fox fired home a low shot from the left edge of the area after some more great play by Quinton in the build up.


During the first half Reepham piled on the pressure, playing some wonderful football with great movement and technique against a young Acle team. The home team held out somehow until the 43rd minute when man of the match Gary Belton ripped a ball into the net from 35-yards.

In the first minute of the second half Leon Huckle scored and, barring a miracle, Acle waved good bye to any points, but they did not quit. On the hour, Shaun Belton executed a great one two and notched the third and the pace of the game slowed as the hot weather dictated a calmer pace, but Craig Arnold, who battled up front for the entire 90 minutes got one back for Acle.

Reepham assistant manager Paul Belton commented afterwards: “We played some terrific football on a very tight pitch in very warm conditions and should have been three or four up by half-time; we need to be consistent for 90 minutes from now on and show the same team spirit next week”.


THE Saints faced Long Stratton Res for a place into the second round of the Norfolk Junior Cup. Manager G Howes was again forced into team changes but welcomed back G Carr. Stratton started the game at a fast pace and took the lead after a through ball found the visiting striker who smashed the ball past keeper M Owen. The Saints lost T Barratt midway through the half after a heavy tackle but got back on to level terms when G Carr slotted an A Kay cross past the keeper. The Saints took the lead after the break when A Kay smashed the ball home through a crowded penalty box. F Deeba scored the Saints' third after a L Tuttle header came back of the crossbar.


THE Saints travelled to Yarmouth with two new signings D Gowan and D Tompson and welcomed back keeper L Edwards and midfielder T Bussens. Before the game a minute's applause was appreciated by both teams in respect of Shaun Bunn who played for both clubs. Yarmouth started the stronger and looked the more likely to score in the opening minutes but totally against the run of play L Tuttle turned on a sixpence in the penalty area and fired home from 10 yards. This gave the Saints the confidence to push Yarmouth back and scored again after a cross was headed home by S Lemon. Yarmouth responded with some good counter attacks but the Saints increased the lead to three with a superb goal which started from L Mcglure at right back and finished six passes later with F Deeba firing home. Yarmouth began the second half determined to get something back and pulled a goal back early on with a good finish and made the Saints produce some outstanding saves and goalline clearances. Both of the Saints' new signings were introduced and played a part in stemming the Yarmouth attack. L Tuttle scored a fourth late on for the Saints after a good ball from

THORPE VILLAGE earned for themselves a valuable away point from their game against Cromer Res. This consolidated their top half of the table position. New signing Michael Eccles, on his first team debut following a good opening club debut in the A XI, will be pleased at joining up with a solid defence and registering a first clean sheet. The defence as a whole was in uncompromising form and with a bit more steadiness in attack the up front men should have scored at least one for victory. But the Cromer side could well say the same regarding their efforts, but both sets of players had to be content with a goalless game.

The reserves found Reepham Reserves to be a much improved side than the results of their opening games indicated, and in the first half particularly, played better as a team than the home side who as last week played deep and relied on breakaways. Thorpe got their break on the half hour when Paul Allcock was upended in the Reepham penalty box and stepped up to put the Villagers in the lead. And Davis, the most sprightly of the home attack almost added to the lead with a good cross which was missed by all in the goalmouth and end as a harmless goalkick. Just before the interval Reepham drew level from a free kick, given away by a home defender and a fine drive found the Thorpe net past the otherwise competent keeper Ford. Three minutes after the break Thorpe went into the lead again and then got well on top with Richard Youngs, Neil Rivers and David Cheeseman increasing the tempo to constantly block the Reepham path to goal.



BRADENHAM started this game with a full strength side for the first time this season. Cressingham came out of the blocks quickest, the Bradenham back four caught flat footed leaving a Cressingham forward free to head home. This sparked the home side into life with numerous chances being squandered. Possession was shared in the first period. Straight from the restart Guida received the ball from Russell and his control turn and shot left the keeper no chance. The momentum was now with the Bulldogs, Guida made way for Heathfield and the lively winger made no mistake rifling home with his first touch after a fine cross from the impressive King. Cox then muscled in on the act crashing home a blockbuster from 30 yards. The goal of the game came from debutant Luke Smith, another pinpoint cross from King found Smith on the edge of the area who unleashed an unstoppable volley into the roof of the net to make it 4-1. An uncharacteristic mistake from Russell let Cressingham in for a late consolation. MoM Sheldrake worked tirelessly in midfield assisted by the evergreen Garner.


LODDON Reserves travelled to Bradenham Wanderers and found themselves behind early on as the home side took advantage of some hesitancy in the Loddon defence to take the lead. The home side passed the ball around well whilst we struggled to put two meaningful passes together and it was no surprise when Bradenham doubled their advantage midway through the half. This seemed to spur Loddon into action and Steven Wise raced clear only to be denied by an excellent save from the home keeper. Loddon were lucky to go in just two down as Bradenham almost added a third just before half-time but a diving header from a corner just went wide. No lessons learnt from the first half as Bradenham scored in the first two minutes of the second half although to be fair this was a much better strike than the first goal. Loddon did come more into the game after this but this could be due to the home side easing off somewhat. Peter Ed and Neil Ford both had efforts and after a good move we should have been awarded a penalty when Wisey was mugged in the penalty area and for some reason known only to the referee he decided it only merited a goal kick. Richie Greenhalf then worked himself an opportunity but his shot landed somewhere near Dereham although he did go a bit closer not long after with the spare ball. Bradenham threatened little towards the end of the game but they were well worth the three points.



Freethorpe made the long trip to Wells in their quest to continue their recent run of good form. On a good playing surface Freethorpe got off to a great start, playing some incisive football. Chances were coming frequently but the deadlock was not broken until the half hour mark when Hurley superbly chested and volleyed home a cross from Barber. Lawton quickly doubled the visitors lead with a great solo run and shot which rattled in off the far post. Rix made it three goals in 10 minutes to make the half-time score 3-0. Wells to their credit came into the game second half and had their fair share of the game and deservedly pulled a goal back on the hour. The game became quite stretched with both teams creating openings but Freethorpe held on for a convincing 3-1 victory.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus