Arsenal end chase in City star with Real Madrid signing
- Credit: PA
Arsenal’s chase for Emi Buendia appears to have been brought to a close, for the moment at least, with the signing for Martin Odgaard on loan from Real Madrid for the rest of the season.
The Gunners have been heavily linked with City’s Argentine playmaker this window although head coach Daniel Farke recently made it clear Buendia wouldn’t be leaving Carrow Road this month.
Mikel Arteta is reportedly an admirer of the 24-year-old but City have never had any intention of selling, knowing how important the player is to their mission to get back in the Premier League.
Odegaard’s loan deal expires at the end of the season so it remains to be seen whether Arsenal have the funds to revisit their interest come the summer. However, Norwich could be in a much stronger bargaining position if they can convert their strong position at the top of the Championship into promotion.
"It's great that we've secured Martin to come to us until the end of the season," Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta said.
"Martin is of course a player that we all know very well and although still young, he has been playing at the top level for a while.
"Martin will provide us with quality offensive options and we're all excited to be integrating him into our plans between now and May."
- 1 Delight for Buendia after Argentina call-up
- 2 'I'd like to think Norwich have their eyes on somebody' - Ashton on striker hunt
- 3 WATCH: In-form City loanee Drmic scores a cracker
- 4 'He's not an ego' - Delia on the man she worships at Norwich City
- 5 Celtic move came too early for Pukki, insists former boss
- 6 Norwich City ace features in trailer for Euro 2020
- 7 City draw up target list
- 8 City Q&A - Paddy answered your questions
- 9 Why Delia and Michael believe Norwich City can 'change the face of football'
- 10 Connor Southwell: Is it time for City to aim beyond the top 26?
The Gunners had highlighted the need to bring in a player who can occupy a number of attacking midfield roles add Odegaard follows Brighton goalkeeper Mat Ryan in joining the club until the end of the current campaign.