Arsenal youngster Savvas Mourgos signs for Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City have bolstered their under-23 squad with the signing of young midfielder Savvas Mourgos from Arsenal.
The 19-year-old, who was born in Greece, has joined on a two-year deal. He established himself at under-18 level for Arsenal after joining the North London club as a scholar in 2014 and featured for the Gunners’ under-23s last season.
The deal runs until June 2019 with City retaining a one-year option. Mourgos will train with City’s Under-23s team, who play against Stoke in their first Carrow Road fixture of the season in Premier League Two on Friday (7pm).
The youngster’s profile on Arsenal’s website says: “Technically-gifted, attack-minded midfielder Savvas was rewarded for his stellar performances for the under-18s with a professional contract in April 2016.
“Last year was the Greek playmaker’s second season in north London, having arrived following a string of impressive displays in the Ferroli Cup.
You may also want to watch:
“While a majority of his appearances came for the under-18s, the playmaker did feature six times for the under-21s and under-19s last season, while also getting the opportunity to train with the senior side on numerous occasions.”
Born in Amarousio, Mourgos was signed from Greek top-flight side Panionios Athens and has previously represented Greece at U16, U17 and U19 levels. He also spent time on trial at Reading after being told his Gunners deal would not be renewed.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Dowell stunner puts City on cusp of promotion
- 2 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 4 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 5 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 6 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Derby County win
- 7 Dowell the difference at Derby as City close on promotion
- 8 'Champagne on ice' - City set for Carrow Road celebration next week
- 9 Spud Thornhill: Early days, but can City break that promotion record?
- 10 ‘Ninety points is usually enough’ - Dowell buzzing for City’s big day
He becomes the third signing of the summer added to City’s U23 squad, following on from released Liverpool midfielder Adam Phillips and Leyton Orient striker Tristan Abrahams, signed in a deal worth around £250,000 before being loaned back to the National League side.
Matt Gill’s squad have started their PL2 Division Two campaign with a 2-1 home loss to Brighton at Colney and a 4-0 defeat at Middlesbrough.
The U23 squad is without a handful of key players who are out on loan, with striker Carlton Morris and midfielder Ebou Adams at Shrewsbury, attacker Diallang Jaiyesimi at Grimsby, right-back Louis Ramsay at Woking and defender Joe Crowe at Limerick.