Arsenal youngster Savvas Mourgos signs for Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City have bolstered their under-23 squad with the signing of young midfielder Savvas Mourgos from Arsenal.
The 19-year-old, who was born in Greece, has joined on a two-year deal. He established himself at under-18 level for Arsenal after joining the North London club as a scholar in 2014 and featured for the Gunners’ under-23s last season.
The deal runs until June 2019 with City retaining a one-year option. Mourgos will train with City’s Under-23s team, who play against Stoke in their first Carrow Road fixture of the season in Premier League Two on Friday (7pm).
The youngster’s profile on Arsenal’s website says: “Technically-gifted, attack-minded midfielder Savvas was rewarded for his stellar performances for the under-18s with a professional contract in April 2016.
“Last year was the Greek playmaker’s second season in north London, having arrived following a string of impressive displays in the Ferroli Cup.
You may also want to watch:
“While a majority of his appearances came for the under-18s, the playmaker did feature six times for the under-21s and under-19s last season, while also getting the opportunity to train with the senior side on numerous occasions.”
Born in Amarousio, Mourgos was signed from Greek top-flight side Panionios Athens and has previously represented Greece at U16, U17 and U19 levels. He also spent time on trial at Reading after being told his Gunners deal would not be renewed.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v Norwich City - McLean tests positive for Covid-19
- 4 Farke's words of advice for Soto
- 5 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe
- 6 February fixture changes for Canaries
- 7 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 8 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 9 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 10 Morris hopes to have found a 'home' after leaving Norwich City for Barnsley
He becomes the third signing of the summer added to City’s U23 squad, following on from released Liverpool midfielder Adam Phillips and Leyton Orient striker Tristan Abrahams, signed in a deal worth around £250,000 before being loaned back to the National League side.
Matt Gill’s squad have started their PL2 Division Two campaign with a 2-1 home loss to Brighton at Colney and a 4-0 defeat at Middlesbrough.
The U23 squad is without a handful of key players who are out on loan, with striker Carlton Morris and midfielder Ebou Adams at Shrewsbury, attacker Diallang Jaiyesimi at Grimsby, right-back Louis Ramsay at Woking and defender Joe Crowe at Limerick.