Clean sheets during away wins have been scarce for Canaries in the Premier League
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Enjoying a clean sheet and a winning margin of more than one goal during Saturday’s success at Everton was just the fourth time Norwich City have managed that combination in the Premier League.
The 2-0 victory at Goodison Park was not only important for getting Daniel Farke's team back on track this season but it was also significant to City's record in the top flight since its revamp in 1992.
In fact, it was only the 11th away win without conceding, with the Canaries now in their ninth Premier League campaign - racking up the 92nd win of their 329 games with victory on Merseyside.
But it's only on three separate occasions that an away clean sheet has been combined with a winning margin of more than one goal, the last of which was a 2-0 triumph at West Brom in December 2013.
Prior to that it was a comprehensive 4-0 win at Leeds in 1993 and a 3-0 success at Nottingham Forest during March of that year, with the other seven wins all being 1-0.
Winning at Everton also ensured Farke's team would not equal Nigel Worthington's team of 2004-05, which went the whole season without a win outside of Norfolk, ending in relegation.
You may also want to watch:
They have a long way to go to equalling the teams of 1992-93 and 1993-94 though, which both managed an excellent eight victories on their travels as the club competed in the upper echelons of the division.
Of course the Canaries also competed in the top flight for 17 campaigns prior to the advent of the Premier League, following the club's first promotion to the top tier in 1972.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Dowell stunner puts City on cusp of promotion
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 3 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 4 Farke makes a pact with City squad
- 5 'Our only concern' - Farke reveals City's promotion roadmap
- 6 City boss too busy to worry about his contract at the moment
- 7 Farke on Canaries records, Rooney and respecting the Rams
- 8 Stiepermann opens up about health problems
- 9 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 10 Spud Thornhill: Early days, but can City break that promotion record?
That includes finishing fourth in 1989 and fifth in 1987, with wins at clubs including Liverpool, Manchester United, Newcastle, West Ham and Leicester all being secured with clean sheets during those superb seasons.
Yet with the Premier League now into its 28th season, and with the money which has flowed into the game since that broadcast motivated rebranding, those statistics are significant.
To put that into further context, those 11 away wins with a clean sheets have come from a total of 165 Premier League away games, 31 of which were wins.
It was also a first league win at Everton since September 1993, when Efan Ekoku famously scored four goals in a 5-1 triumph.
CITY'S CLEAN SHEET AWAY WINS IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- Nov 2019 - Everton (0-2)
- March 16 - West Brom (0-1)
- Dec 13 - West Brom (0-1)
- Sept 13 - Stoke (0-1)
- Dec 94 - Crystal Palace (0-1)
- April 94 - Liverpool (0-1)
- Jan 94 - Southampton (0-1)
- Aug 93 - Leeds (0-4)
- March 93 - Nottm Forest (0-3)
- March 93 - Sheff Utd (0-1)
- Jan 93 - Everton (0-1)