Clean sheets during away wins have been scarce for Canaries in the Premier League
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Enjoying a clean sheet and a winning margin of more than one goal during Saturday’s success at Everton was just the fourth time Norwich City have managed that combination in the Premier League.
The 2-0 victory at Goodison Park was not only important for getting Daniel Farke's team back on track this season but it was also significant to City's record in the top flight since its revamp in 1992.
In fact, it was only the 11th away win without conceding, with the Canaries now in their ninth Premier League campaign - racking up the 92nd win of their 329 games with victory on Merseyside.
But it's only on three separate occasions that an away clean sheet has been combined with a winning margin of more than one goal, the last of which was a 2-0 triumph at West Brom in December 2013.
Prior to that it was a comprehensive 4-0 win at Leeds in 1993 and a 3-0 success at Nottingham Forest during March of that year, with the other seven wins all being 1-0.
Winning at Everton also ensured Farke's team would not equal Nigel Worthington's team of 2004-05, which went the whole season without a win outside of Norfolk, ending in relegation.
You may also want to watch:
They have a long way to go to equalling the teams of 1992-93 and 1993-94 though, which both managed an excellent eight victories on their travels as the club competed in the upper echelons of the division.
Of course the Canaries also competed in the top flight for 17 campaigns prior to the advent of the Premier League, following the club's first promotion to the top tier in 1972.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 2 City confirm Dimitris Giannoulis deal
- 3 PROFILE: Raw determination and loan education helped City's incoming left-back emerge at PAOK
- 4 Buendia to Arsenal. Forget it, says City boss Farke
- 5 City legend details Webber conversation before sporting director appointment
- 6 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper
- 7 Bullish Robins' boss pledges to mix it with Canaries
- 8 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
- 9 City keeper issues injury update
- 10 'Our own Heracles at left-back' - City fans delighted as Giannoulis completes loan move
That includes finishing fourth in 1989 and fifth in 1987, with wins at clubs including Liverpool, Manchester United, Newcastle, West Ham and Leicester all being secured with clean sheets during those superb seasons.
Yet with the Premier League now into its 28th season, and with the money which has flowed into the game since that broadcast motivated rebranding, those statistics are significant.
To put that into further context, those 11 away wins with a clean sheets have come from a total of 165 Premier League away games, 31 of which were wins.
It was also a first league win at Everton since September 1993, when Efan Ekoku famously scored four goals in a 5-1 triumph.
CITY'S CLEAN SHEET AWAY WINS IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- Nov 2019 - Everton (0-2)
- March 16 - West Brom (0-1)
- Dec 13 - West Brom (0-1)
- Sept 13 - Stoke (0-1)
- Dec 94 - Crystal Palace (0-1)
- April 94 - Liverpool (0-1)
- Jan 94 - Southampton (0-1)
- Aug 93 - Leeds (0-4)
- March 93 - Nottm Forest (0-3)
- March 93 - Sheff Utd (0-1)
- Jan 93 - Everton (0-1)