Away support continues to show increase
Norwich City's hardy band of away supporters have come in for praise as a disappointing season draws to a close. The Canaries have struggled for results on their travels this term, losing 12 of their 20 league fixtures - but that hasn't stopped fans from following them in commendably large numbers.
Norwich City's hardy band of away supporters have come in for praise as a disappointing season draws to a close.
The Canaries have struggled for results on their travels this term, losing 12 of their 20 league fixtures - but that hasn't stopped fans from following them in commendably large numbers.
A total of 30,927 people have provided their support so far and with a big attendance predicted at Sheffield Wednesday later this month that figure should have risen close to the 35,000 mark by the end of the campaign.
When you consider that only 20,913 supporters have made the return trip to Carrow Road over the same period it's a remarkable statistic, and one which pleases director of sales and marketing Andrew Cullen immensely.
You may also want to watch:
“It's phenomenal when you consider the mileage Norwich fans have to put in over the course of the season,” he said. “We are averaging around 1500 this season, and that includes some very long trips.
“Over 1000 made the long haul down to Plymouth and we had 500 at Burnley the other night when the game was being shown live on Sky.
- 1 Ex-City star Murphy boosts hopes of new deal
- 2 Former City loanee set for new deal at Borussia Dortmund
- 3 Paddy Davitt verdict: Wazza and City's great leap forward
- 4 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 5 'I don't want the season to end' - City ace hitting top form
- 6 Six things you might have missed after City's win at Derby
- 7 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 8 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
- 9 City Q&A: One down. One to go
- 10 Chris Goreham: No-one should question just how good City have been
“It's something that has built up in recent years - and it has got to the stage when the visit from Norwich is the highlight of the season for many teams because they know will sell plenty of seats in the away end!”
The Canaries are unlikely to break the 1000 barrier in Saturday's trip to Preston, while it's almost certain to be a similar story at Cardiff in the final trip of the season. But there is sure to be a bumper away attendance at Sheffield Wednesday on April 15, when the club have offered cut-price travel of £7.50 as a reward to the loyal travelling army.
With the Owls having also slashed ticket prices for the game there's a very good chance that City's record away attendance for the season - 2807 at Coventry on November 26 - will be beaten.
City's away followings this season (in descending order):
Milton Keynes Dons 1420*,
Sheffield United 1418,
Crystal Palace 1282,