Aylsham win through to cup final
Aylsham Ladies travelled to Long Stratton for their semi-final of the Norfolk Women’s League Cup.
Long Stratton are in the league below Aylsham.
In front of a big crowd, Aylsham were in front after 15 minutes when Abby Timmins threaded a perfect ball through for Gina Atherton to slot home. Long Stratton made use of some pacey midfielders but Shaz Bunn and Di England were on top form in the Aylsham defence. Aylsham went 2-0 up when the ball fell to Michaela England from a corner, who blasted home. Aylsham added another when Amber Roberts picked out Gina Atherton with a pin-point cross.
Annie Smith then found the back of the net from close range. There was time for one more goal before half-time making it 5-0 to Aylsham.
In the second half, Long Stratton came out stronger and more organised. The speed and skill of Amber Roberts was a constant threat but it was from set-pieces that Aylsham capitalised.
You may also want to watch:
Captain Flick Farraway strongly headed the ball home from one corner and then applied the finishing touch from another. Gina Atherton scored, confirming Aylsham’s place in the final where they will face Acle Ladies.
This was a solid performance from Aylsham who hope to take this form back to league matches, starting against Wymondham.
- 1 Farke on City set up changes
- 2 PRESSER: City v Liverpool - No fresh injuries; Cantwell set to miss out
- 3 Getting nasty and dressing room barnies - City old boy's relegation advice
- 4 Six things you may have missed from City's disheartening defeat to Watford
- 5 Farke opens up on the impact of booing City players
- 6 'I hate losing' - Normann's City debut left a nasty taste
- 7 What does Farke do now to kickstart City?
- 8 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Watford defeat
- 9 Paddy Davitt verdict: It is not City fans who need to believe
- 10 Encouraging first impressions from City newboy Normann