Beccles area youth scene

LODDON GRASSHOPPERS U14s' third game of the new season was a much tougher test than their previous two games and they have no reason to feel downhearted following a good display, despite losing 2-1.

LODDON GRASSHOPPERS U14s' third game of the new season was a much tougher test than their previous two games and they have no reason to feel downhearted following a good display, despite losing 2-1. St Benets were a large and very effective physical presence that Loddon were not used to competing against. Combining long downfield balls and well-worked set pieces and throw-ins, they edged Loddon out of a close encounter. Loddon took the lead after 20 minutes when Rob drove in a low free-kick from the edge of the area through the St Benets defensive wall. As pressure began to mount on Loddon, changes were made in defence to try and counteract the St Benets aerial threat. But they were in vain as their midfielder headed a long ball through on goal and the striker finished well into the far corner after 30 minutes.

Loddon started the second half well, getting the ball down on the floor and using it efficiently, dominating in spells with James providing lots of energy in the centre of midfield. Ryan and Craig showed they were more than capable of competing with players considerably bigger and stronger than themselves with some fearless tackling on the flanks. However, 15 minutes into the second half a long throw was launched into the Loddon six-yard box, finding the head of a St Benets player at the back post who headed them into the lead. Loddon battled for the point that they deserved but the opposition closed the game out to claim the win. Special mentions go to Jack for playing in goal for the entire game, and James, Ryan and Craig for their commitment and enthusiastic performances throughout. MoM: Craig.

BUNGAY Boys U15, away to Gorleston Rangers, battled bravely against a very strong side. Final score Gorleston 16, Bungay 0. MoM: Jak Clark.

ST BENETS WASPS U11A made the trip to Reydon to face Sole Bay and won 1-0. The first half saw some good chances fall to Wasps, but it wasn't until early in the second half that Herbie opened the scoring with a powerful shot, having made space for himself on the right-hand edge of the penalty box. Ross was delivering some excellent corners, but Wasps were unable to add to their lead. The home side battled hard for an equaliser but the Wasps' backline of Elliot, Peter, Adam and Ross did an excellent job of protecting their goal. A great team effort.

WASPS U12A were held to a draw by a strong Waveney side at the Denes School. Wasps attacked from the start with George, Chris and TGC combining well. Callum, Steven and Regin dominated the midfield with Ciaran and George dangerous on the flanks. Wolfie's handling was outstanding while Luke and Jordan just get better and better.

Ollie caused problems up front but it was not until early in the second half that Wasps took a deserved lead through TGC. Wasps continued to press but could not get the elusive second goal and were punished when Waveney scored following a long free-kick. Special mentions for Evan and Tom who won everything at the back. Final score:Wasps U12A 1, Waveney U12A 1.

Most Read

ST BENETS WASPS U13A beat Shrublands U13 2-1. Both teams started brightly with chances created at both ends. The Wasps' keeper, Ian, grew in confidence making a number of impressive saves and was also good at shouting instructions to his defenders. Shrublands' attacking play was very quick through the middle which meant that Jamie, Matt, Len, Wiggy and Hazza in defence had to work hard throughout. They kept their shape most of the time and on the occasions that Shrublands burst through the defence, all the Wasps defenders chased back to make some important tackles and limited Shrublands scoring opportunities. Lee, Ricky and Kieran kept to the Wasps' agreed tactics for the central midfield and this reduced the ability of Shrublands to use their preferred approach of lobbing high balls from the midfield into the Wasps' goal area. The three central midfielders were also effective when laying the ball forward or out wide to the wings. When the ball was played out wide Jack, Liam and Harvey were very effective, getting the ball into the Shrublands goal area. Some 10 minutes from half-time, this led to Ryan scoring St Benets' first goal.

Midway through the second half Shrublands equalised. However, the Wasps responded immediately from the centre spot kick, with Harvey receiving a ball from Alex, running down the right wing, crossing the ball into the Shrublands goal area and Sam scoring with a well taken shot. MoM: Alex.

ST BENETS WASPS U9 had another hard game which resulted in a 7-0 defeat away to Gorleston FC A. Gorleston were on fine form making maximum use of space and made plenty of chances. Dan and Max stood up well to clear an early header at goal from a corner and Jamie took the ball down the wing to cross in to James for a shot just wide. Gorleston quickly intercepted from their goal kick to push forward to score their first goal. Gorleston won nine corners in the first half but failed to score due to really solid defending by James, Max and Dan. Ollie and Jamie got into the Gorleston area and combined to cause them problems but never got clear sight of goal. Gorleston's second goal came from a shot from wide and their third from a penalty for a handball. More pressure saw Gorleston bag another two goals within three minutes with one on the break as Wasps sprinted back, and another that came in from wide and spun along Thomas's goal-line. The referee adjudged it to be over the line.

Thomas produced some terrific saves in the second half as Gorleston continued to try shots from all angles and distances. Ben showed great confidence to get amongst the action to help protect Wasps' area and he made a decent run into Gorleston half before being outnumbered. Dan and James defended well to hold off another attack that Max finally kicked clear. Wasps' best chance of the game began as Jamie pursued a Gorleston attack into the corner, refusing to allow the cross in. Gorleston's failed effort fell to James who sprinted down the wing, overcoming two attempts to stop him. Liam was in the box and James put a superb ball in. Liam turned quickly on the ball and shot just wide. Gorleston's keeper again put the goal kick into the path of his striker, who made a short run in to score their sixth. Another brief chance developed for Wasps as Max crossed in to Liam who was tackled instantly before he could attempt to shoot. Thomas was injured trying to keep Gorleston's seventh goal out but recovered to make another fine save right at the end of the game.