Beccles/Bungay Journal youth notes

HALESWORTH TOWN U9 got their passing boots on after the previous week’s disappointing display and totally outplayed Hemsby, running out 5-1 winners.

Combining well, they scored the opening goal through good team passing, and finished well by Josh Clears-Garner.

Hemsby equalised from the penalty spot but Halesworth took charge with two further goals from Hayden Ling and a left-footed shot from Braidon Nurse. A second penalty was awarded for Hemsby before half-time but the shot hit a post and the follow-up was saved by Halesworth’s keeper. Hemsby had more possession after the break but the defence held firm. They failed to take advantage with their third spot-kick, shooting wide. Two good breakaway goals capped a very well-earned victory.

ST BENETS WASPS U9B were at home to Martham Boys. Goalkeeper Ryan, Zak, Ewan and MoM Tariq were strong in defence but were unlucky to concede a goal. After some great passing by Dylan, Kurtis and Tommo, Aiden tapped in a goal to put Wasps level but just before half-time Martham got another goal. In the second half Aiden swapped with Ryan in goal and made some brave saves. Martham got another, but the final score does not reflect Wasps’ sheer grit, determination and hard work. Result: Wasps 1, Martham 3.

BUNGAY TOWN U15 drew 2-2 with a battling performance at promotion rivals Gunton. Callum’s dribble and chip fell nicely for Sam to open the scoring, and Bungay held the lead until the break, despite Gunton’s pressure. More chances came Bungay’s way before Gunton’s equaliser from a corner. Kyle and Callum found Jamie, who held the ball up enough for Jake to advance and put Bungay ahead. Ashley tested the home keeper before Gunton equalised once more after a clever move from midfield and down the right. More chances fell Bungay’s way before a lengthy spell on the back foot. Bungay held out and the points were shared.

BUNGAY TOWN U9A travelled to Hemsby Hornets U9B on a bitterly cold Sunday morning. Rain had made the pitch very heavy. Bungay pushed hard for an early goal. Both wings were being used well by Reece and Harvey, trying to get the ball through to Bailey to finish. But Hemsby’s tight defence hampered their efforts. Hemsby’s clean counter-attacking and passing broke down Bungay’s midfield which resulted in a goal midway through the half. Bungay stayed strong and some great saves by Darryl kept the score 1-0 at half-time. Bungay re-started with determination and had the majority of the early possession, but none of their attempts resulted in a goal. Hemsby fought back and scored a second goal. Bungay’s defence held strong with Ollie and Connor tested by the quick Hemsby forwards. Some great challenges kept both attacking teams at bay. Despite a full-length run along the pitch minutes from time by Josh, the final finish was just inches wide from Harvey. Final score: Bungay Town 0, Hemsby Hornets 2.

ST BENETS WASPS U9A visited Waveney B on a freezing cold day on which Wasps started much slower than in previous weeks. Both teams played some lovely passing football in an evenly-contested game. Harvey caused problems with his pace and played some neatly passes with Owen and Tom. Zach, Will and Ryan were solid at the back. Wasps were unlucky to concede right on half-time. Wasps introduced Kobe for his debut, and after initial uncertainty he soon gelled with his new team-mates and nearly scored following brilliant work from Alex U. Zach was unlucky to concede Waveney’s second. After initially pushing the shot onto the bar, he carried the ball over the line in his attempt to stop the goal. Waveney scored a third from a tight angle to wrap up the game. Final score: Waveney 3, Wasps 0.

Most Read

BUNGAY TOWN GIRLS U14, despite a lack-lustre first 10 minuets, totally out-played a good-spirited Reepham Town. Bungay were awarded a penalty within the first two minuets. The Reepham keeper threw the ball out to her defender, who decided to catch it. Laura thumped the ball into the back of the net to open the scoring. Hattie played well, completing her first full 70 minutes, as did Charlotte, who won balls all over the pitch. Further goals were scored by Megan (3), Eva (4), Laura and Nina. Bungay returned to the top of the league with this result – but have some really tough games ahead of them.