Belles put up a fight in epic cup final
- Credit: Archant
League runners-up Hellesdon Belles played title holders Costessey in the Norfolk League Sevens Cup final and it was a classic.
The Belles nearly scored when Heather Heslin’s header from Cath Heslin’s enormous throw-in hit the underside of the bar and bounced down but not in.
Only some excellent goal keeping on both sides meant it was 0-0 at half time.
The Belles ran their socks off in the hot conditions and Naomi Keetley took a very nasty blow to her knee and after long treatment had to leave the game.
Costessey were awarded a penalty which Janet Barker saved and then, with time running out, Keri Boorman scored with a fine header.
You may also want to watch:
Costessey threw everything at the Belles and equalised late in the game, so it went into extra time.
Cath Heslin was up-ended in the box but no penalty was awarded. Her shot on the turn was well saved.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 2 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 4 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 6 Rusty returns could prove crucial in the long run for fit-again City stars
- 7 'Concentrate on the league klaxon' - City fans express disappointment at FA Cup exit
- 8 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 10 Farke's words of advice for Soto
So it went to the dreaded penalty shoot-out which Costessey won 2-1.
Keri Boorman got the player of the match award for Belles and keeper Janet Barker was outstanding.
Manager Bob Wilton told the Belles: “Our best ever performance. I am so proud of you all.”
If any Norfolk teams would like to join the Sevens League, which plays on grass pitches on Sundays, contact Viv Thomas by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org