Belles put up a fight in epic cup final
- Credit: Archant
League runners-up Hellesdon Belles played title holders Costessey in the Norfolk League Sevens Cup final and it was a classic.
The Belles nearly scored when Heather Heslin’s header from Cath Heslin’s enormous throw-in hit the underside of the bar and bounced down but not in.
Only some excellent goal keeping on both sides meant it was 0-0 at half time.
The Belles ran their socks off in the hot conditions and Naomi Keetley took a very nasty blow to her knee and after long treatment had to leave the game.
Costessey were awarded a penalty which Janet Barker saved and then, with time running out, Keri Boorman scored with a fine header.
You may also want to watch:
Costessey threw everything at the Belles and equalised late in the game, so it went into extra time.
Cath Heslin was up-ended in the box but no penalty was awarded. Her shot on the turn was well saved.
- 1 'I rate him as the best midfield player in the league' - Warnock hails former City star
- 2 Fans return: 2,000 supporters WILL be permitted to attend matches at Carrow Road as Norwich placed in Tier 2
- 3 Farke fears Krul out for weeks
- 4 ‘Norwich is a cracking club’ - Warnock explains why Boro couldn’t sign Gibson
- 5 Blows for Hugill, McLean and Cantwell as injury crisis deepens for City ahead of trip to Stoke
- 6 Excitement mounts ahead of proposed return for Norwich City at Luton
- 7 Connor Southwell: There's plenty to admire about Norwich City's response to relegation
- 8 'We complement each other quite nicely' - Gibson on growing partnership with Hanley
- 9 Former City midfielder Holt resigns as Livingston boss
- 10 'A crazy few weeks' - City star on Barcelona transfer links
So it went to the dreaded penalty shoot-out which Costessey won 2-1.
Keri Boorman got the player of the match award for Belles and keeper Janet Barker was outstanding.
Manager Bob Wilton told the Belles: “Our best ever performance. I am so proud of you all.”
If any Norfolk teams would like to join the Sevens League, which plays on grass pitches on Sundays, contact Viv Thomas by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org