City on the verge of completing Gibson loan switch
- Credit: PA
Norwich City are on the verge of signing Burnley defender Ben Gibson on loan with an option to buy.
The Canaries are believed to have beaten off competition from Premier League new boys Fulham and other Championship clubs.
Gibson is now edging closer to completing the formalities on his initial season-long loan move, with the option to make it permanent should City gain promotion to the Premier League in a deal that could rise to £8million.
Discussions between City, Burnley and Gibson’s representatives have been on-going for weeks, with the player always believed to be keen on a switch to the Canaries, despite reports claiming he preferred a return to hometown club Middlesbrough.
Gibson has been training with Boro since January after appearing to fall out of favour at Turf Moor. The 27-year-old made a reported £15m switch to the Clarets in 2018 but has barely featured for Sean Dyche and only made one Premier League start.
You may also want to watch:
Gibson was touted as one of England’s best young centre backs, following his emergence with the Teessiders, and featured for Boro against Norwich in the 2015 Championship play-off final at Wembley.
His consistent form during Boro’s 2016-17 season in the Premier League even earned him a senior England call-up but his career has stalled in Lancashire, with a hernia problem restricting him to just five appearances during his first campaign with the Clarets.
- 1 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 2 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 4 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 5 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut
- 6 Hugill stepped up when Norwich City needed him with determined display at Cardiff
- 7 'We need to pull our weight' - City skipper relieved to end his goal drought
- 8 Watch extended highlights of Norwich City's win at Cardiff
- 9 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 10 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
His last appearance for Burnley arrived in January 2019 in the Clarets’ 5-0 defeat to Manchester City in the FA Cup.
Asked about his future by BBC Radio Tees earlier this month, Gibson said: “It’s probably no secret that I’ve been wanting to get out and play football and have been itching to do so since I signed for Burnley.
“I’ll just have to see what the next few weeks bring. Obviously I want to play football, that’s clear as day, but for now I just have to sit tight and see what happens.”
Gibson is poised to become the Canaries’ 11th summer signing – with City not expected to do any further business unless there is a major departure in the coming weeks.
City travel to Luton Town for their opening competitive fixture of the season tomorrow.