City on the verge of completing Gibson loan switch
- Credit: PA
Norwich City are on the verge of signing Burnley defender Ben Gibson on loan with an option to buy.
The Canaries are believed to have beaten off competition from Premier League new boys Fulham and other Championship clubs.
Gibson is now edging closer to completing the formalities on his initial season-long loan move, with the option to make it permanent should City gain promotion to the Premier League in a deal that could rise to £8million.
Discussions between City, Burnley and Gibson’s representatives have been on-going for weeks, with the player always believed to be keen on a switch to the Canaries, despite reports claiming he preferred a return to hometown club Middlesbrough.
Gibson has been training with Boro since January after appearing to fall out of favour at Turf Moor. The 27-year-old made a reported £15m switch to the Clarets in 2018 but has barely featured for Sean Dyche and only made one Premier League start.
You may also want to watch:
Gibson was touted as one of England’s best young centre backs, following his emergence with the Teessiders, and featured for Boro against Norwich in the 2015 Championship play-off final at Wembley.
His consistent form during Boro’s 2016-17 season in the Premier League even earned him a senior England call-up but his career has stalled in Lancashire, with a hernia problem restricting him to just five appearances during his first campaign with the Clarets.
- 1 City poised for Maddison cash boost
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries tracking Bosnia midfielder
- 3 Norwich City transfer rumours: Bordeaux winger on the radar
- 4 'Criminally underrated' - City ace a huge Euros miss for Villa star
- 5 Sinani ready for a scrap at City
- 6 Norwich City transfer rumours: Premier League forward in Canaries' sights
- 7 Buendia's Argentina call-up leaves Canaries in unfamiliar territory
- 8 Hit or miss? City's Premier League loan history
- 9 From Croatia to Iceland - the mixed fortunes of City's loan stable
- 10 Delia reveals Norwich squad's touching tribute to her late mother Etty
His last appearance for Burnley arrived in January 2019 in the Clarets’ 5-0 defeat to Manchester City in the FA Cup.
Asked about his future by BBC Radio Tees earlier this month, Gibson said: “It’s probably no secret that I’ve been wanting to get out and play football and have been itching to do so since I signed for Burnley.
“I’ll just have to see what the next few weeks bring. Obviously I want to play football, that’s clear as day, but for now I just have to sit tight and see what happens.”
Gibson is poised to become the Canaries’ 11th summer signing – with City not expected to do any further business unless there is a major departure in the coming weeks.
City travel to Luton Town for their opening competitive fixture of the season tomorrow.